Recent content by mtmpenn

1. M

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Despite the arguments about design axis and foot holes, it is clear that this speaker is not going to be the platonic ideal loudspeaker per Harman/Toole/Olive. Sad thing is, that I have no problem with that. Variety is the spice of life. How boring would this hobby be if there was only 1...
  2. M

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Seeing a set of measurements with feet in place measured on the woofer axis to see how things change would be informative. I recognize that what I am about to suggest is unlikely to occur, but I’ll say it anyway, in a moment of optimism for a positive resolution to this drama. Perhaps...
  3. M

Actual Double Blind Studies

I’d be curious to know what a power and sample size calculation for the smallest meaningful difference looks like. For those who are not familiar, the power of a study is defined as the probability of failing to identify a difference that is actually present. In biomedical research large...
  4. M

Best Great Spin-O-Rama to New Spin-O-Rama Speaker Upgrade You've Made

I went from Zaph ZA 5.2 to CSS 1 TD-X. Based on preference score this would be a slight downgrade, although they are numerically close. To my ears the CSS are much better though. It is fun/interesting to see the measurements and try to correlate. I believe it is the bass response and...
  5. M

Q Acoustics 5040 floorstanding speaker review by Erin

I brought up the issue of designing to a purpose, rather than a preference score, in another thread, but it seems like this could be at play here. If Q acoustics expects buyers to listen with the grill in place and the speaker shoved against the front wall the response makes a lot more sense...
  6. M

Rogers LS3/5a (BBC) Speaker Review

I think that this is likely true in most scenarios, but it may not be true in all scenarios. There could be a rationale for designing a speaker for a specific purpose. For example, if a company knew that 95% of their customers were going to put the speaker 3 inches from the wall without...
  7. M

Interesting discussion. For my part, I am not questioning the validity of klippel’s ability to estimate an anechoic measurement. I’m questioning whether an anechoically flat speaker is the preferred speaker for every use case. A speaker designed to be used at 70db, placed 6” from the wall...
  8. M

I have the schematic AND the driver's actually... I just haven't gotten around to building them in the past decade. I keep thinking I will... but work and two young kids has left precious little time. I have never heard any LS3/5a variant, but I have a question for the group about these...
  9. M

TV Upgrade?

Thanks all! This would be for almost entirely TV/movies. Gaming isn’t a concern. Budget has some flexibility but I would like to keep it under $2k. I am willing to pay for better performance, to a point, but don’t want to get crazy about it. This is what keeps bringing me back to S90C...
  10. M

TV Upgrade?

Hello ASR, I know that TVs are not a major focus, but I’m curious to see if the objectively minded folks here have opinions. I currently have a 55” Samsung KS8000 from 2016ish. I’m considering upgrading to 65” (largest size I can fit in the space for various reasons). I use an appleTV as...
  11. M

FiiO SP3 - Review & Measurements by Erin

A question for the theoretical: Should speakers designed for use on a desk have the same flat frequency response as a stand mounted speaker? Or would sound bouncing off the desk suggest an alternate target?
  12. M

Looking for a small Speaker (active or passive), woofer not bigger than 4 Inches preferably

How about the Philharmonic Audio “True Mini?” I have not heard it but Dennis supplies measurements which look good. I have a pair of Dennis’ affordable accuracy monitors and they were a fantastic value. These are $380 per pair.
  13. M

CSS Criton 1TD-X Kit Speaker Review

I’m biased since I also own these speakers, but I see it like this: There are always trade offs. I think I can hear, and I enjoy, the in-room frequency response, the bass extension, the wide dispersion and the low distortion of these speakers. The drivers contribute to both those positive...
  14. M

Recommend me a horn speaker!

Oooh… I’d love to see a build thread in the DIY forum. I’m a total amateur speaker builder and woodworker. There are others on here with much more knowledge and skill then me. Still, my #1 piece of advice for getting a good painted finish on mdf is: don’t paint mdf. Iron on paper backed...
  15. M

CSS Criton 1TD-X Kit Speaker Review

Thanks so much Kerry! I am happy with them, particularly as a first attempt with raw veneer. As I said in my earlier post, I really like the sound a lot. My prior daily drivers were a pair of Zaph ZA5.2 (that design was also measured on this site). To my ear these are better top to bottom...
Top Bottom