Recent content by morpheusX

1. M

How to make quasi-anechoic speaker measurements/spinoramas with REW and VituixCAD

Thank you, the scaffolding is a great idea, i'm going to try to borrow one for this :) If i can't, i just discovered that these type of scaffold can be rented, around 5 to 10€ a day. One of these would be perfect:
  2. M

How to make quasi-anechoic speaker measurements/spinoramas with REW and VituixCAD

I'm scratching my head on how to be able to test my speakers in a secure way. As mentioned, each speaker is composed by three boxes, with the full speaker being 98cm (H) x 40cm (W) x 35cm (D), and weighting around 30kg without drivers, and around 50kg with drivers: I have a pair of Atacama 24...
  3. M

When a speaker has each component in its own box, is it possible to measure each box on its own (only the box measured will be placed in the stand), or do we still need to have the full speaker (all boxes) in place. I'm asking as i'm building a set of speakers which are composed by 3 boxes, one...
  4. M

Designing an active 2-way speaker crossover

I'm sorry to insist, but does your EMM-6 use the "generic" calibration file provided by Dayton, or its calibrated by Cross Spectrum (or other similar company)?
  5. M

This might be useful for someone with calibrated USB mic: its a simple process to calibrate a mic using an already calibrated mic, in this case, using a Cross Spectrum Labs calibrated UMIK-1 to create the calibration file for the ECM8000.
  6. M

Is this mic custom calibrated? Given the uncertainty regarding the USB mic (i have a cross spectrum calibrated UMIK-1), i'm considering getting an EMM-6, but they seem out of stock since 2019 on Cross Spectrum.
  7. M

So if i understood correctly, using the UMIK-1 with REW acoustic timing ref, will provide accurate measurement for crossover design in VituixCAD. Is the above correct? There is so many contradictory information on this subject that its difficult to understand what the actual truth is ...
  8. M

Is REL being more 'musical' than SVS a myth, or is there some real science behind this?

I would read data-bass.com "Subwoofer myths article" as a starting point ;)
  9. M

Post Directiva r1 Active Crossovers here

Looking at the woofer response from 0º to 50º, it seems indeed that the XO is too high: I tried using a 2.5K XO point, but phase didn't align so well, and in order to have it aligned, i had to set a delay on the tweeter up to 200us, which would lower the rating: I don't know how to...
  10. M

Not sure what PIR means :facepalm: Please download the project here.
  11. M

I hope i've done it correctly :)
  12. M

When doing active and correcting the driver response, should we use all the DSP available filters to make the response as perfect as possible, or is preferable to limit the number of filters? Is there any drawback in using 10 filters instead of 5, given that using 10 filters will allow to...
  13. M

I see, it makes sense ... i've read the grimm audio paper a long time ago, and i forgot the details ... So, based on your clarification regarding the Grimm Audio approach, these are the steps i took: 0 - Import the Phi0Theta0 driver files to REW 1 - Use REW to equalize both drivers to be flat...
  14. M

Thank you very much for your input. Strange, the main window is using a 60db-100db scale, i probably missed something when i copied the images ... I tried what you suggested, but although the FR is flatter, the Preference score lowers from 7.037 to 6.939 (don't know if it matters :) )...
  15. M

I'm "building" a pair of active speakers, i'm waiting to receive the boxes from the builder, and while i wait, i'm researching the tools i need to be able to create a valid active crossover. From an "design" perspective, i like the approach described in the Grimmaudio LS1 paper, and their...
Top Bottom