Recent content by mocenigo

1. M

Extreme Snake Oil

I agree. But there are preamps and power amps with a much lower Zin.
  2. M

Extreme Snake Oil

I fully agree, but there are effects that are not measured even here. For instance, what is the effect of a different ratio of DAC output to sink input impedance? The Topping DACs have a middle output impedance, around 100 to 300Ω. The Ideon Absolute ε DAC has an output impedance of just 15Ω...
  3. M

Extreme Snake Oil

In most cases, yes. Sometimes there are products that break the envelope and significantly improve on the SotA, like the Mola Mola Tambaqui or, more recently, the Ideon Absolute DAC. So, the price can be justified by the research and, at least initially, the exclusivity, for once related to...
  4. M

Hypex NCx500 Class D Amplifier Review

Of course this is a reference to power often translated from chinese as "bile" on the AliExpress site...
  5. M

Hypex NCx500 Class D Amplifier Review

If you are talking of the Hypex modules, they have their own technology.
  6. M

Extreme Snake Oil

Luckily this site also proves thay many sub $1K DACs perform as well as the SotA $50K DACs for people with too much money and little understanding of audio...
  7. M

Extreme Snake Oil

I would venture that this is not necessarily snake oil. Pricey? Yes.
  8. M

Extreme Snake Oil

Yes. There is delusion and ignorance on one side, and malice and exploitation on the other one. The first ones can be perhaps educated. The second ones are just fraudsters.
  9. M

Extreme Snake Oil

LOL. I sometimes got this with some “smoothing” applied directly to the graphs of datasets — which led me to smooth the datasets first (similar to oversampling, in fact)
  10. M

Extreme Snake Oil

Norddeutsche Bodenständigkeit?
  11. M

Extreme Snake Oil

Grounding your audio equipment is passé. You must also ground YOURSELF: https://www.groundingwell.com/
  12. M

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

I would guess because modern SMPSs are lighter, more efficient, less noisy.
  13. M

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

Well, old fashioned switching PSUs were noisy, but switching PSUs that "become noisy over a short period of time" are a bit of a surprise to me. I have observed audible noise in a couple of power amps with switching PSUs disappear in a few hours — and these amps had PSUs from aliexpress that...
  14. M

ICEpower 1200AS2 question

Ahha, it’s been quite some time that I haven’t had a look at those sites because there is more than one site: one outdated and abandoned, and one that is very slow. 0/6dB (selectable) for the A50s and -14/0/16dB (also selectable) for the L30II.
Top Bottom