Recent content by mmi

1. M

Sonos Five Smart Speaker Review

This measurement rig looks pretty bespoke, I’ve always wondered about it in comparison to the NFS.
  2. M

Sonos Five Smart Speaker Review

Love my Fives!! I run them horizontal stereo pair when I want wide dispersion, vertical stereo pair when I want a more focused sound, and split during parties for music in more areas. I’ve measured them pumping out 27hz waves, incredible considering their size. There are a few posts on various...
  3. M

REW-like app for mobile (Android/iOS)

Following up on my post above, I ended up finding Sound Spectrum Pro. It’s RTA mode ticks all the boxes for quick high quality moving mic measurements on the phone.
  4. M

What streaming service do you use?

Personal library stored in Apple Music app, Soundcloud, Mixcloud, NTS Radio, Apple Music, Sonos Radio
  5. M

Recommendations for Bluetooth Speaker: Sonos vs JBL vs Devialet

Original Sonos Move measurements here. I have one and love it. If you get two you basically have a high quality portable bookshelf system with motion activated room correction. I’m biased towards Sonos, once you enter the ecosystem it’s addictive. I have a pair of Fives for main speakers plus a...
  6. M

No portable Dacs / Headphone Amps for Airplay?

I dunno. I used to run the lightning connector in my pocket, at the bottom of bags, cycling etc, they are not “unreliable” in that they don’t come loose without a proper pull. The only issue I ever had was due to lint in my phones socket. Edit: also from damage to the socket or connector from...
  7. M

Yeah I just noticed, somehow missed that options had been put forward that work. I’m actually quite surprised. It all seems very extreme to me, is this all to avoid using the Apple lightning DAC with an iPhone and headphones?
  8. M

Yes, and Apple supports Airplay over peer-to-peer wifi amongst certain Apple devices. But if they don’t support this using wireless AirPods Max it is almost guaranteed it wont be supported on a random portable wireless wifi dac (if such a thing exists).
  9. M

I find this thread very confusing. Airplay works over ip network protocols, you’d need to run some sort of portable wireless network to achieve OPs request. l don’t see the point, there’s a reason AirPods use Bluetooth.
  10. M

Neumann KH120 II Monitor Review

If you want bass I wouldn’t shy away from trying some other speakers. I recently AB’d KH120s and 8030s against Dynaudio BM5mk3s and, given the use case I was imagining (living room) preferred the Dynaudio’s simply because they sounded 90% as clear but dug a lot deeper.
  11. M

Lenbrooke acquires MQA

I love how this is up the top on Apple’s lossless audio info page: “While the difference between AAC and lossless audio is virtually indistinguishable, we’re offering Apple Music subscribers the option to access music in lossless audio compression.” And this from Bandcamp: “You can also...
  12. M

REW-like app for mobile (Android/iOS)

HouseCurve is great! Perfect for averaged measurements. Regarding replicating the REW moving mic measurement technique discussed in other posts here, I have searched high and low and it seems there isn’t a single iOS RTA / FFT app on the market with data export + adjustable slope or octave...
  13. M

What speakers have defied the measurements?

It’s been proven with blind tests and some trickery that the majority of trained wine drinkers make close to random assessments - including judging differently when unknowingly given the same wine multiple times. This video is a great example of how much vision biases auditory perception: A...
  14. M

Wife Says Sounds Better From Kitchen, etc.

I’ve long found that saying patriarchal and slyly misogynistic
Top Bottom