Recent content by mitchco

1. mitchco

REW, A Graph and What It All Means

@TimVG No disagreement here. I don't do Facebook. I did mention in my post to keep eq applied below 500 Hz ;) But folks should realize that sophisticated DSP correction systems like Audiolense and Acourate use frequency dependent windowing (FDW) that users can control so only below 500 Hz the...
  2. mitchco

REW, A Graph and What It All Means

@Jefrpol Looking good. Have a look at http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2009/11/subjective-and-objective-evaluation-of.html and open up the presentation. Check out slides 24 and 25 for the money shots. A downward flat, but tilting response from 20 Hz to -10 dB @ 20 kHz measured at the LP is...
  3. mitchco

Theory: If I EQ headphones to Harman AE/OE curve, what other attributes should I look for?

I don't know how the LCD2C sounds relative to the LCD-4z, but the latter has abysmal high frequency coloration that, to my ears, make them un-listenable, even using Audeze Reveal eq. I posted a link to the review that shows the bumpy ride frequency response. One can also download binaural...
  4. mitchco

Full Range Speakers, under $5k

Ron, I believe the predicted in room response is intended to include room gain, but you would have to reach out to Sean Olive to confirm. The F208 was eq'd to add more bass to match the preferred in-room response as per Sean's research. I know the ANSI/CTA 2034-A standard predicts in-room...
  5. mitchco

Theory: If I EQ headphones to Harman AE/OE curve, what other attributes should I look for?

Personally, I enjoy the Harman target curve. I find most headphones to be thin sounding. For sure it is all about preference, but as Sean Olive has had literally hundreds of participants over the years take part in headphone perception testing, most tend to have the same preference. Here are...
  6. mitchco

An Enticing Marketing Story, Theory Without Measurement?

If you want to show a speaker's timing response, the step response is the right measure. The issue with the impulse response to show a speakers timing is that the woofer amplitude will be 1/100th the amplitude of the tweeter and the mid range (assuming a 3 way) will be 1/10th the amplitude of...
  7. mitchco

An Enticing Marketing Story, Theory Without Measurement?

Re: impulse display. Note that the impulse response display is heavily weighted towards high frequencies. The step response is the right display. See Stereophile article: https://www.stereophile.com/features/100/index.html Thanks for pointing this out Dr. Toole. The top DSP packages offer...
  8. mitchco

Room challenge and DSP

As @Krunok mentions, it depends. Some DSP products are better than others. Some use multiple multiple analysis measurements, some use a single measurement but a different algorithm (using superposition) to not fill in all of the dips, but rather halfway... In the case of the DSP software I use...
  9. mitchco

Room challenge and DSP

Here is one example system using DSP and digital XO's. This is looking at the first 100ms of sound travel of a 3 way active system, including subs in the time domain. The display view is a step response. Here we can pick out the individual drivers and delays, including a large low frequency...
  10. mitchco

Audible difference in players? (Audirvana, JRiver, Roon, MusicBee, etc.)

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/can-two-software-players-sound-different-from-each-other-and-why.8269/page-3#post-208554 These tests also include the procedures on how to record the digital (and analog) outputs and compare (both audibly and visually) so with a...
  11. mitchco

MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

Hey folks, I originally posted the link to @Archimago 's article to have a technical/scientific discussion on MQA. Is this not an audio science forum? Are there any further technical analysis of MQA that can be shared? Has there been any scientific analysis that refutes any of Archimago's and...
  12. mitchco

New JBL and Revel Speaker Lines

Very interesting! Any more info?
  13. mitchco

MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

Huh? What does this even mean? I must say, what an odd response, especially given Arch is one of the very few objective and rational "audiophiles" out there in audio land today. Completely objectively debunked MQA, with no objective measurement rebuttal from anyone... including this thread...
  14. mitchco

Full Range Speakers, under $5k

No I don't, but the raw data exists: https://www.princeton.edu/3D3A/Directivity/KEF%20LS50/index.html Folks have modded the passive XO to reduce the slight excess energy around 2.5 kHz.
  15. mitchco

Room challenge and DSP

@ahofer I have written several articles and a book on using DSP for accurate sound reproduction. For sure it can assist. However, the first thing to do is understand your room acoustics. If you are into it/up for it, purchasing a calibrated measurement mic and using REW to take a snapshot of...
Top Bottom