Recent content by mitchco

1. mitchco

Genelec 8341A SAM™ Studio Monitor Review

Kudos @amirm for springing for the Klippel NFS. We finally get to see independent testing of what's real and what's not. Re: Beautiful man! While I dig the detailed measurements, this is the money shot!
  2. mitchco

Headphone EQ Suggestions

Folks may be interested in the Impulcifer as well. Edit: and a commercial product with headtracker for reasonable $$'s https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/redscape-3d-audio-for-headphones-review-r879/
  3. mitchco

do I need to address long low freq decay?

@Pio2001 speakers are typically minimum phase devices. However, when speakers are placed in rooms, we get both minimum phase response and non minimum phase response due to room resonances. https://www.roomeqwizard.com/help/help_en-GB/html/minimumphase.html Most room correction software will...
  4. mitchco

@MRC01 no disagreement, I use bass traps myself and have spec'd many a room for them and measured the before and after results. Just to be clear, "Room Shaper" is not "EQ" nor is it a FIR filter or any kind of "static" equalization filter. The Room Shaper DSP works in the time domain only to...
  5. mitchco

Review: Rythmik F12G Direct Servo Subwoofer

Thanks for this review. Great job! I have dual Rythmik L12's paired with KEF LS50's, sound great. And dual F18's paired with a large set of JBL cinema loudspeakers...
  6. mitchco

One can also reduce low frequency decay times using DSP: https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/home-audio-fidelity-room-shaper-review-r855/ Room Shaper is not room eq. Room eq can smooth out the low end by a combination of minimum phase response eq and excess phase correction below the rooms...
  7. mitchco

I don't understand the obsession with DR meters

Yes, no compression, my bad. As you quote, there is a peak limiter in the circuit and it can engage. If the limiter is triggered it will affect the dynamic range.
  8. mitchco

"Look at Spotify, which has an always-on peak limiter. It processes ISPs for instance. " https://www.gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/877227-bob-katz-declares-loudness-war-won-5.html Good luck.
  9. mitchco

Dear Fluffy, Why don't you do your own searching and educate yourself. Folks here have left references for all sorts of articles on this subject for your edification. While there is some goodness here on the loudness war, you need to understand that every streaming service is setting the...
  10. mitchco

What Happens to My Recording When it’s Played on the Radio For folks that want to know about mastering, the best reference there is Bob Katz's: Mastering Audio: The Art and the Science. The one hardware device released in 1967 and software plugin released in 2001, I want to focus your...
  11. mitchco

Roon Music Player and Library Management Software Review

I really enjoy Roon with Qobuz integration. I feel like a kid in a candy store! I have it running on a headless miniPC using the convolution engine for a 3 way digital tri-amped system. - rock solid performance with nary a dropout. The Convolver is transparent, efficient, and the single file zip...
  12. mitchco

I think some folks have it backwards. There is no valid technical or artistic reason for lower than DR12 (using the dynamic range database as baseline). There is a perceived financial reason by the record industry that louder makes my song A stand stand out over your song B and hence people...
  13. mitchco

It is a slightly exaggerated example to make a point :-) For an example of well recorded and dynamic drums for pop or rock, try Stewart Copeland from the Police on the track Murder by Numbers. Of course compressors and limiters are used for drum kits and in fact, on most instruments and vocals...
  14. mitchco

DR is but one aspect of several for what makes a good recording, mix and master. It certainly is not the only aspect. Maybe some folks are not sensitive to hearing compressors "pumping and breathing" along with the music. Or sensitive to peak limiting where the transient attack is so severely...
Top Bottom