Recent content by misterdog

1. misterdog

Electrostatic speakers?

Though what of the distortion from magnetic drivers in speakers from ' good conventional speakers which don't cost a lot' We all love distortion ? Assuming your 'box' induces no colouration and your crossover is somehow flawless in integrating your 2/3 or 4 different drive units.
  2. misterdog

Electrostatic speakers?

No 'box' sound, no crossover distortion, to start with. They measure enormously though, mine are the size of my entrance door. :D When you say pricey, what are you comparing to ...
  3. misterdog

Electrostatic speakers?

To me the actual frame rigidity is less important than the attachment of the panels to the frame. Here is the actual aluminium angle (not more rigid T section) that my 989's panels were attached to, 1200mm. long and 1.2mm thick section, you can see where each of the 6 panels were attached. The...
  4. misterdog

Electrostatic speakers?

No. Apart from the cosmetic makeover, the addition of the rear brace, and the additional anti topple ballast weight they are identical to my 989's. Quad did take an 8 panel ESL to Munich a few years ago, but it was a non working prototype, I have heard nothing of it since.
  5. misterdog

Electrostatic speakers?

As posted earlier, I love the sound of marketing speak. Me, Me, Me, mine are the best. Peter Walker at Quad Acoustics was designing electrostatics some 20/30 years before Soundlab jumped on board. The Quad 63 Pro series were also designed for 'rough handling' in studios and such.
  6. misterdog

Electrostatic speakers?

The reason that >63 Quad panels fail is the hot melt glue holding the stators to the plastic matrix fails, exacerbated by a lack of structural rigidity, allowing flex within the panels as people move them. Also, holes in the Mylar membrane caused by arcing and again glue fatigue from the...
  7. misterdog

Electrostatic speakers?

As do Quad panels. Any electrical engineer trying to apply several thousand volts across across a panel from a 'single location' might need a change of career.
  8. misterdog

Electrostatic speakers?

:facepalm: I love the sound of marketing speak. In the UK we only have 'best' bitter and 'premium' lager, though many beers are just mediocre at best.
  9. misterdog

Electrostatic speakers?

Proof ? Or conjecture. I have heard various theories concerning my Quad 989's - they have no bass - mount them in steel panels - myth dispelled, the bass is more than ample.... Diaphragm coating is a thread worthy of it's own merits - surely...
  10. misterdog

Electrostatic speakers?

When Quad added two extra panels to the 989 series, from the 63's (four panels) adding more bass and general output, all they did was extend the same aluminium L section by around 400mm in length. This L section was already flimsy, as is it is only slotted into the top and bottom plastic...
  11. misterdog

Electrostatic speakers?

I have Quad 989's built into custom made steel stands, which allows the centre of the panel to be at ear height (the factory version employs a tilt back using the feet) and massively increases rigidity. I have two 12" subwoofers to provide the bottom octave. A MiniDSP plate amp provides...
  12. misterdog

Measurements of Gustard P26 Preamplifier

Topping Pre amp. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-pre90-review-preamplifier.18283/ https://hifigo.com/products/topping-pre90-preamplifier-topping-ext90-input-extender-nfca-modules
  13. misterdog

Review and Measurements of Benchmark AHB2 Amp

Yes. Built my own N-Cores before building Neurochrome mono's, before owning AHB2.:)
  14. misterdog

Review and Measurements of Benchmark AHB2 Amp

Hmmmm. Why did Amir include all the out of hearing range data ?
Top Bottom