Recent content by Miska

1. M

Review and Measurements of PS Audio PerfectWave DirectStream DAC

Can you explain why I could be bothered to spend a lot of time arguing? I've already noticed no argument, measurement or listening impression is enough.
  2. M

Uhh no, if I say something about even one thing, and the welcome is such... No, no way. It feels like going to extremist church to discuss different religions objectively.
  3. M

Enough cycles and statistically the outcome becomes relevant, even if there would be occasional mistakes. I've listened my test tracks thousands of times. Most of the time I need only couple of seconds to have an opinion. I do kind of MOS/MUSHRA kind of scoring.
  4. M

You are repeating same old song... Same goes for SINAD figures and all the rest, you need to correlate your claims of audibility to actual evidence regarding the measurement results here too. Those ranking graphs make absolutely no sense if you cannot hear the difference? I'm seeing exactly...
  5. M

I suspect... Since there is no easy straightforward correlation, there are likely missing aspects still. I'm totally fine accepting that world is not ready and perfect yet. Maybe in 500 years we know a bit better. Define top tier DACs? OK, let's say we take RME ADI-2 as an example. You can...
  6. M

Many, and some very likely still unknown. I've tried to discuss this many times before, but the response has been negative throughout. In the end you also need to accept that reaching something totally transparent throughout the (re)production chain is going to be impossible. You can only try...
  7. M

Accurate reconstruction of the original analog waveform, also taking into account deficiencies of the preceding production chain... ;)
  8. M

Point is that SINAD doesn't tell if it's audibly transparent. Some DACs are more transparent than others, even if they have exactly same SINAD figure. Or same DAC driven different way, still having same analog stage performance (SINAD, IMD, etc).
  9. M

Part of my job is to listen for such, but there are things I specifically know to listen for. Just like when listening for submarines and ships through a passive sonar system. But there are three levels, one is the non-focus listening where you listen for the big picture. And then the focus...
  10. M

I use three different analyzers. But for example shape of the filter roll-off correlates, and amount of overshoot analog stages have, and reconstruction accuracy (image levels). And complex behavior of the the SD-modulator. Just to name a few. I've tried to discuss some of these aspect here...
  11. M

No need to. If enough people think the same way it begins to matter. You may be a minority that doesn't like it, that's ok. It could be also that you are majority that doesn't like it and that's ok too. From statistical point of view it would be interesting to know how many people have similar...
  12. M

I have some bunch of such measurements now. And over time will collect more. And no, SINAD + TIM doesn't yet define the sound either. It is still just scratching the surface, just twice as much compared to SINAD alone.
  13. M

Because if something sounds bad to me, it sounds bad to me and for me it is unacceptable. Just like if people vote one way or the other in elections. Technically by measurements, they meet the specs (as defined here on ASR). If I take two DACs that measure practically the same regarding...
  14. M

Building a DAC that ends up in disappointment is not so great experience, lot of wasted time. My office desk headphone setup has three DACs I can easily switch between and my loudspeaker setup has eight DACs I can easily switch between (preamp has only eight inputs). And for me, the first...
  15. M

To me, this THD/SINAD discussion is "history repeats itself" type. In the 70's first Tapio Köykkä was building circlotron-type(*) tube amps and complained that new transistor amps with extremely low THD sounded bad and distorted transients. And everybody was like, it cannot sound bad, the THD is...
Top Bottom