Recent content by MINOR WHITE

1. MINOR WHITE

Turn a Mac Mini into a audio and video High Res "Apple TV"

I think it's almost impossible for me to hear the differences, or it is a rare or certain type of video and music/audio that would present the difference, and even then it's really not "oh my god night and day". I had found a great video a month ago explaining and showing the various youtube...
  2. MINOR WHITE

Thanks for this! I use the Mac Mini (2013 maxed out) mainly as the home entertainment center...instead of a Smart TV and instead of Casting from my laptop to a Chrome Ultra dongle: mainly to take advantage of a software system Parametric EQ ("Boom 3D"), and ability to have faster ethernet to it...
  3. MINOR WHITE

That sounds like you found a perfect solution and it's working great for everyone. I didn't know about the zoom function, I'll check that out. Let me know if you notice fan noise from high-gpu/cpu usage video programs.
  4. MINOR WHITE

It's an audio midi computer app that has a parametric EQ function (and a bunch of pre-sets) to help tweak the audio from your computer. In my case, I use the Mac Mini as an audio server and media device that runs to a Bel Canto Dac via USB. So I get to take advantage of very simple effective...
  5. MINOR WHITE

Yeah....I was premature on that one.....turns out I just happened to choose a couple of channels that were 720p....once I chose 1080 it was instant fan action.
  6. MINOR WHITE

I believe it's a 2015, I noticed there was an OS update, and just installed that and I think Youtube/Google Chrome was also updated (security things). After the reboot, things were actually WORSE: fans were running nearly non-stop. But I think I found the issue. I had "use Hardware...
  7. MINOR WHITE

Just wanted to drop an update: Been using the Mac Mini as my "smart TV, Video, and Audio Streamer". - Ethernet in via modern wifi router - HDMI out to small 40" 1080i sceen video/tv, etc. - USB out to Bel Canto DAC 2.8 for audio It takes some getting use to, and there's things I like, and...
  8. MINOR WHITE

EMI/RFI radiating from Rega Elex~r integrated amp? Dimmer switches? AC-Power?

Found a great webinar displaying and demonstrating 'grounding' for circuitry and the issue with myths in contending with emissions. It works well as a companion to the white paper docs that a couple members here pointed me to (thanks again btw!). The explanation and display of how signals...
  9. MINOR WHITE

I just happened to be reading thru a thread on here about 'balanced into unbalanced' and saw some one mentioned using jensen isolation transfomers (or devices that incorporate them) and saw their write up page. Thanks for the link!
  10. MINOR WHITE

I guess this is also one of those reasons why having good balanced circuitry and component connections can be beneficial? If there was 'noise' generated from one component that possibly has an affect and transmittable, then the balanced "common mode' noise would be cancelled to some extent...
  11. MINOR WHITE

Thanks for taking time with this! Very helpful. I watched Amir's video on grounding and am really grasping all of it now.
  12. MINOR WHITE

Thanks so much for this info. I guess that is what was confusing me about the 'ground' for the chassis: why a manufacturer wouldn't have to take advantage/use of that route in case the case were to be electrified. But I think I am understanding that now. I'll watch Amir's video on earth/ground...
  13. MINOR WHITE

That's so funny you mentioned the computer speaker system. I had forgotten I had a Cambridge Soundworks 2.1 (I think was designed by Henry Kloss?) back in early 2000s that did that as well and I never knew why. Drove me nutz.
  14. MINOR WHITE

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this, and the really helpful information. I'm not sure why Rega would set things up with out the earth ground - I had always assumed that all electrical devices (especially an amp) would/should have an earth ground. I'll read thru the extra...
  15. MINOR WHITE

There are several electrical engineers/designers who use RF "sniffers" or probes to trace noisy components, stray signals, etc. Some can be attached to an oscilloscope to trace exact frequencies, etc. The one the person uses in the video is just a cable networking tracing probe, but it also...
Top Bottom