Recent content by minnend

1. M

Upgrade / Comparisons? Ascend Sierra RAAL Towers / Revel F226Be / F228Be

Do any receivers have the option of boosting the center channel signal before mixing it into the LR? That would help, but I don't think my receiver (Denon x4300h) will do that. You can only boost via trim when there's actually a center channel, which is something I do. :) It's interesting how...
  2. M

Are there any significant upgrades to the Revel M16's under 4k?

I bought Philharmonic BMR monitors over Revel M16 (and M105 / M106) a few years ago and am happy with the choice. Then I recently purchased a 2-way design from Philharmonic when building a second system. That's starting from scratch, though, and I bought the speakers used which significantly...
  3. M

Upgrade / Comparisons? Ascend Sierra RAAL Towers / Revel F226Be / F228Be

I really enjoyed your shootout and follow-up conversation. Thanks for taking the time to do the comparison and share your impressions! I'm interested in the technical aspects of this last comment. What would a best-of-both-worlds speaker look like? Is it RAAL + Revel's midrange + multiple 8"...
  4. M

Revel F328Be Speaker Review

I appreciate your response. The undistorted SPL argument certainly makes sense. I don't know about availability since I'm not in the market for a 5-digit system, but lack of inventory certainly matters in practice. I'm in the camp that thinks subs (high quality and well-integrated) belong in a...
  5. M

Revel F328Be Speaker Review

What's the argument for these Revels at $16k/pr over something like the Linkwitz LX521.4, Kii Three, or Dutch & Dutch 8c? Well, other than aesthetics? :) My home system isn't in this price range, but if I upped my budget, aren't the benefits of the non-traditional speakers (primarily in the...
  6. M

Review and Measurements of Project Polaris HP Amp

Thanks for all the responses! I've learned a lot from Amir's reviews and the forums here. Agreed. I imagined a digital source to avoid multiple DA/AD conversions. But I can see plenty of people wanting to stay in the analog domain. Really good point. I didn't mean to imply that the world...
  7. M

Review and Measurements of Project Polaris HP Amp

I really appreciate the work that went in to this amp, and it seems like it's an unqualified success relative to the design goals. Congrats! Potentially dumb question alert: If the overall goal is to have a tube-like sound, which essentially means high 2nd and 3rd-order distortion, isn't it...
  8. M

Alternative to Topping DX7s with low output impedance

Thanks for the suggestion. After seeing the D50 results, I think that's the way to go. The DAC matches or even exceeds the DX7, and I can pair it with a low impedance amp to match my headphones. Kudos to Topping for putting out some high-quality / high-value products, though I'll stand by the...
  9. M

Alternative to Topping DX7s with low output impedance

I recently found ASR and am very impressed with the measurements and data-driven discussion. Thanks for putting in the hard work! I'm currently using Fostex TH-X00s at work running through a Fiio E17 Alpen. I'd like to upgrade the DAC/amp and thought I found a winner in the Topping DX7 based on...
Top Bottom