Recent content by milw50717

1. M

Cambridge Audio Solo Phono Preamplifier Review

FWIW From the factory Rega internally wired the ground to the left output RCA and much has been written about the "Rega hum". I have a Planar 2 that I rewired with a kit that has a separate ground wire that I use with the Solo and I have not experienced any hum or ground noise. The ground...
  2. M

macOS vs. Windows vs. Linux

Yes although it's not UNIX which is a trademark. The history of Unix and Unix-like operating systems is long and varied with a few legal wrangles over the years.
  3. M

Logitech M570 Ergonomic mouse with thumbwheel. Now discontinued but I stocked up when they went on clearance. Works well across all of the platforms I use.
  4. M

It's horses for courses for me with no one preferred OS. I use what I feel is best for the use case: Linux - Debian/Proxmox nodes + Redhat + Rocky for the 7x24 server and infrastructure stuff Windows 10 Pro for one legacy piece of hardware that I will eventually wean myself off. MacOS for...
  5. M

Cambridge Audio CXA81 Review (Sample 2)

Slightly OT, but I bought a CXA81 in the US and there is now a possibility that I will be relocating to the UK for a few years and then returning to the US. Has anyone had a look at the internals with an eye to seeing if it can be switched between 110V/60Hz and 240V/50Hz ? I'm hoping there is...
  6. M

My trip down the memory lane of Singapore

Some of my photos from the early to mid 1990s
  7. M

What are we listening to right now..

The glorious orchestra of engines and raucous exhaust notes.
  8. M

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

In the warmer months I make my own cold brew using a stainless steel filter in a mason jar . I generally use Lavazza or Peets beans.
  9. M

Apple's new M1 Mac Mini as source (misses out on silent operation)

Google Remote Desktop is an alternative to VNC for connecting to a headless mini M1. I have never heard the fans of my mini M1 kick on even when doing video encoding using handbrake or running a couple of virtual machines that had various servers running. Quite the change from my old Windows 10...
  10. M

After joy Division & New Order ... what?

Stiff Kittens, Warsaw, Revenge, The Other Two, Electronic, Bad Lieutenant, Monaco, Freebass and Peter Hook & The Light.
  11. M

Review: Apple vs Google USB-C Headphone Adapters

As another quick test I'm working on a macbook air (2015 model) today with the dongle and powered speakers hooked up. I have the same logitech USB headset plugged in and am using a web browser for emails, etc. I went past the 30 minute mark with no clicks. To see if there was any RFI I fired up...
  12. M

I have the dongle connected to a Mini M1 and then to a pair of powered speakers. There are certainly clicks when the mini is turned on and off, but I also get occasional clicks when nothing is being played through the dongle, when VLC has finished playing a video and I am busy typing an email...
  13. M

Really just so I can remove/replace the USB-C dongle should I wish to.
  14. M

It is detected on my Mac Mini M1 as a 'USB-C to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter' with nothing attached to the RCAs. If you had to buy all the parts then the price is going to be over $10. Here are my costs - 5 x cases for $8, 5 x TRS plugs for $1.50, 2 x USB-C couplers for $4 and I had the RCAs...
Top Bottom