Recent content by MikeJ

1. MikeJ

Sennheiser 800 HD still the best neutral openback for $1000 used?

Oh yeah, Harman guys galore who still seem to trust graphs only and when a headphone doesn't have that Harman bass boost, it's automatically a bad headphone. Harman cult followers, the same story over and over again :facepalm: I'll give you a hint - try to a EQ a mix on headphones with Harman...
  2. MikeJ

Sennheiser 800 HD still the best neutral openback for $1000 used?

Stock HD800 is far far from neutral. Even EQ'd, there's bass distortion - I had mine custom EQ'd by Sonarworks. But once EQ'd, the soundstage depth loses some clarity - so there's a tradeoff between hyped frequence response vs. neutrality. I recommend you try Austrian Audio Hi-X65 instead - for...
  3. MikeJ

Topping U90 (USB DDC) and HS-01 (USB filter)

Seems like someone tested the HS-01 and it really seems to work some wonders, according to the measurements...
  4. MikeJ

Apple AirPods Max Review (Noise Cancelling Headphone)

Thanks @MayaTlab! Glad that they measure the same. It could be my ears are just tired, so many studio sessions attended by the end of the year;)
  5. MikeJ

Apple AirPods Max Review (Noise Cancelling Headphone)

Can somebody try to re-measure these with the latest firmware (4C165)? The reason I'm asking is because I've been enjoying these for the last month with the previous firmware with the Vocal Range profile turned on. Now after the FW update circa 2 days ago, I'm constantly finding myself to turn...
  6. MikeJ

Neumann NDH20 Review (Headphone)

Yeah I value my ears so I don't listen above 85dB/SPL where it's getting uncomfortable for longer listening sessions.
  7. MikeJ

What I've learned from this forum is that there's group of followers who take everything for granted on what is posted here, without even questioning themselves and performing their own individual research. Anyway, I'm still grateful for ASR, even if I sometimes disagree ;)
  8. MikeJ

Yes it happened to me once, that's why I asked, is it wrong to ask such question when you doubt something at first sight? I'd rather double check. Now that I personally own NDH 20, that distortion peak just surprises me, ehm. It's even more funny because even the studio pros I know and Neumann...
  9. MikeJ

You know what? I have seen two different measurements of two fresh pairs of one popular headphone (will not name it for obvious reasons) and guess what? They were different to the extent that one pair was RMA'd as defective unit. But let's not derail this thread.
  10. MikeJ

If only I can ship my pair to you (from EU), that would be awesome to compare. Anyway thanks for doing this.
  11. MikeJ

Thanks. I was really confused by looking at the first picture which obviously made me think the green line (left channel) goes deeper to the bottom.
  12. MikeJ

Yeah but your sharp dip shows only in left channel, doesn't it? Really interesting...
  13. MikeJ

I suggest you better wait for explanation. There is obviously something wrong with these measurements (or this particular measured pair). Neither Head-fi, nor Sonarworks, nor Sbaf do show this FR dip/THD artifact. It's too soon to make proper conclusions I think.
  14. MikeJ

@amirm Not really sure about your THD/FR measurements. Neither Head-fi nor Sonarworks who both measured these, have that strange 2.6kHz artifact in their measurements, in both FR/THD. I personally don't hear the suckout too. Maybe you measured a pair which could possibly have some QC issues? Or...
  15. MikeJ

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

As far as my research goes, this is not primarily Topping's fault. Did you know that ESS DAC's jitter rejection algorithm is, unfortunately, very unforgiving to poor input sources? Hence that's the reason for dropouts / loss of clock synchronization. There are other ESS-based DACs out there...
Top Bottom