Recent content by mikeburns

1. M

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

Thanks very much for the replies. Will look for another option for this specific case.
  2. M

I have a simple question about the Powerdac v2 that I wonder if someone might be able to answer for me. I currently use it for balanced headphones and it works great. But I have an even coming up where I need to play music from my laptop into a mixer. I wanted to output music from my laptop into...
  3. M

HD6XX - Schiit Stack - Need More Punch!

I use my HD6XX with the E1DA Power Dac. Obviously this requires a cable swap but with the EQ set for the HD6XX provided with the built in EQ curves of the E1DA the sound is phenomenal. I have gone back to the stock sound to AB plenty of times and aside from the extra bass I completely prefer the...
  4. M

VTV Purifi Amplifier Teardown(SIL 994EnH-Ticha Pro Opamp)

I suggest people look to March Audio for better build quality of the purifi amps. Mine is excellent, though Alan isn't around here anymore, I recommend it.
  5. M

Raspberry Pi USB - some theory?

Well... It replaced a fairly good preamp - quad 99. That on the second hand market went for 700 dollars. The sale of the su8 almost got me to a grand, so not much more for the shd. So I guess it wasn't too big of an expense. It brought a transparent dac, streamer, preamp with analog inputs...
  6. M

I went with something completely different. I replaced my dac and preamp with a minidsp shd. Have had no connection issues with the USB input and my rpi4, which I had extensively with the su8. Got Dirac and extensive dsp options as well so it really improved my system in alot of ways.
  7. M

I struggled to get mine to reliably reconnect after a power cycle. Your mileage may vary. It was annoying enough for me to sell mine.
  8. M

The smsl su8 works great with a pi streamer and it sounded so great. I did have an issue with the pair in that the su8 powers down the USB port when you turn on another input (mine did at any rate). This meant that my pi streamer using moode struggled to reconnect with I went back to USB. If you...
  9. M

A Raspberry Pi as a music server

I am thinking of doing exactly this in the future. I will definitely use your explanation as a starting point!
  10. M

A Raspberry Pi as a music server

RPi4 here. Its awesome. I like the speed and it doesn't get hot really. I use a flirc case which acts as a heat sink so no need for a fan for my audio application. I would not get a pi3 due to the shared USB bus (not that many people actually noticed anything on the pi3 I would just prefer to...
  11. M

And the DSP that the E1DA Powerdac brings is great! My HD6XX headphones were great but a bit rich in the mid bass I believe. The effect the dsp of the powerdac had on the HD6XX was impressive. I find myself wishing that the E1DA powerdac came as a more fully fleshed out desktop headphone...
  12. M

March Audio P452 Purifi Based Stereo Power Amplifier

I guess you need to explore the various measurement discussion threads etc. I think the main thing was that the purifi is flatter out to 20Hz and has lower distortion at low levels, where most of my listening is likely to occur. It also runs cooler. To be honest either would be fine, I just...
  13. M

No worries! I am really enjoying my p452 and SHD combo. If the SHD works for your situation and setup then you will not be disappointed. This is supreme hifi value for money. I guess people will argue that the specs are just as good with the hypex models of amps but the improved specs of the...
  14. M

The SHD itself measures much better than the DDRC options. That was the primary reason. The SHD also eliminated a preamp in my system and initially I had expected to use its streaming functionality as well, but found that my RPi4 setup far surpassed it. Plus the studio does not include a dac and...
  15. M

The shd measures really really well. The hardware update has amended the jitter which was already probably below audibility. As far as I'm concerned it in no way reduces the sinad of my system. It's improvements in room correction far outweigh any sinad issues it may bring, though it has been...
Top Bottom