Recent content by mike7877

1. M

Topping LA90 Discrete Amplifier Review

Dang, the built in volume control wasn't measured
  2. M

Topping A70 Pro HP & Preamp Review

I already went over why it's safe to drive the speakers. Output impedance is low enough and there's a limit on the current - you can't damage the thing driving 6.5 ohms... The manual gives power rating down to 16 ohms and says 8 ohms should be minimum. The average impedance of my speakers is...
  3. M

Well, not necessarily. The amplifier has a current output capability of 1.03A. It's probably designed to 1.000A The amplifier also has an output impedance of 0.1 ohms. With a good speaker cable and good connections to the 4 pin xlr, you could get a damping factor of 40-50 with the 8 ohm nominal...
  4. M

This does have implications for some very high end headphones which have impedances in the 9 to 11 ohm range. In my post I said I'd be trying to figure out at which impedance this overly aggressive current limiting begins by adding a couple of my 2.2 ohm resistors in series with the speakers...
  5. M

Audiophile hobby is a scam?

lol a 50kg Class A amp. I have one of those! - broken at the moment :( it's actually more like 30kg, but that's because its transformer is better (a toroid!) Worst part about the situation is, I was re-capping it - just the power supply (four big honkers 33,000uf 70V + 4x 8,300?uf'ers) on a...
  6. M

Do people still take this stuff seriously though? Before we knew any better (for sure..) some of the stuff was at least plausible (didn't raising the cables have something to do with impedance? I remember reading something like 15 years ago from something 15 years prior on that...) Now we know...
  7. M

I have the A70 Pro and L70. Regarding power output... Although you might be inclined to think the A70 Pro would be higher power output into low impedances than the L70, depending on the impedance, this might not be the case. I made myself these handy contraptions for listening to music at low...
  8. M

I think the high fidelity audio scene is contaminated with garbage because it wasn't that long ago that things were still being figured out, and I mean BASIC things. For example, into the 70s they were still making speakers with the tweeter and midrange beside each other (yes, in...
  9. M

Topping L30 II Review (Headphone Amp)

Do you think it'd get worse (provided the impedance isn't too low for the increased voltage), or remain the same?
  10. M

I wouldn't go so far to say that... There are a lot of stupid products which exist like rocks to put on top of your speakers, but it's a small portion of enthusiasts who actually buy such garbage. Audiophile is just someone really interested in high fidelity audio reproduction From the...
  11. M

ESS IMD hump with AKM DAC? (specifically AK4499EXEQ in Topping E70 Velvet)

Ah, I didn't know this. Good to know! Something else to consider, most recordings seem to be normalized to -3dB or lower, and those are pop songs. Most high fidelity recordings will probably only have a transient or two between -3 and 0dBfs, so any extra distortion there will probably be masked...
  12. M

Topping G5 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Yes, hence the warning lol Edit: sorry, no, not DAC; preamp/headphone amplifier. I believe ths DAC is limited to 5VRMS, with just over 3dB headroom if memory serves and the info I read was accurate. If it was hooked up to the DAC, I don't think the signal would've been more than 2-3V. I had the...
  13. M

Topping L30 II Review (Headphone Amp)

Would this be even better at high gain (like dynamic range)?
  14. M

Topping G5 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Topping L70 - I have an RCA to 1/8" female adapter cable I was using. I lost my headphone splitter and needed two running at once. One is 40 ohms, the other 250,
Top Bottom