Recent content by MichaelP

1. M

Puffin: dB Gain to Voltage Calculation?

Perhaps this was discussed already. Have you tried dialing in your Puffin using the levels display. It can display average and peak values. Turn the dial until you see the A / D display, it's the last ones. Hit the button to put it into peak monitoring mode. You're clipping if those peaks hit...
  2. M

Pro-ject Phono Box DS2 USB Phono Stage Review

Checkout the Parks Audio Puffin with a digital out.
  3. M

Measurements of Parks Audio Puffin Phono Stage

It arrived today. I'm impressed. It sounds excellent! Super clean. I'm using an Ortofon 2m Blue cartridge. Some thoughts on how it sounds compared to my old Cambridge Audio Azur 640p: - Bass is SO much better, really impressed with the bottom and mids - Less bright than the 640p. Adjusting the...
  4. M

Excellent stuff. I ended up ordering one. Should be here next week! Will report back on how it compares to my current Cambridge Audio stage.
  5. M

Recommendations for USB noise filtering product

What happens when you disconnect all USB peripherals except the DAC?
  6. M

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like the versatility of the SPDIF is worth it. Are you using any EQ or additional DSP magic? Curious if all that sounds transparent.
  7. M

Schiit Modius vs Soncoz LA-QXD1 vs SMSL M300 MKII?

Got it! I have a Modi 3 with my computer setup too. Excellent DAC. I’m using it with a Schiit Magni for volume control, for headphones and powered monitors. If you unplug the headphones it acts as a normal preamp, allowing you to control the volume on the RCA outs. Have you considered an...
  8. M

Very cool phono stage! This guy is at the top of my list for updating my phono stage. How are you all liking it? Is the digital out worth the extra $100? Does the "Air" control do a good job of adjusting for capacitance mismatches?
  9. M

Schiit Modius vs Soncoz LA-QXD1 vs SMSL M300 MKII?

Have you considered not doing volume control on your PC? You'd get better audio quality if you ran the DAC in exclusive mode at a fixed volume. What's the rest of your setup look like?
  10. M

Schiit Modius Balanced DAC Review

I heard back from their support team. The Modius does support 32-bit input.
  11. M

Think I found my answer in the FAQ here: https://www.schiit.com/products/unison-usb What formats does Unison USB support? PCM, up to 24/192. That's it.
  12. M

Interesting stuff. I’m using USB. Wonder what happens with that 32-bits of data. Regarding upsampling. Does it make any sense to upsample at all with a DAC like this? Does the AK4493 do upsampling internally? It seems to route everything through a Delta-Sigma Modulator. Anyone understand any of...
  13. M

Modius specs state max sample rate and bit depths are 24/192. The AKM DAC it uses apparently supports up to 32/768. Has anyone tested a higher bit depth and rate signal into the DAC? Any idea how it handles the extra data? Truncation?
  14. M

MiniDSP 2x4HD alternatives for PEQ

Yes 100% agree that room EQ will be done on the digital side. MiniDSP seems like a good standalone unit for this. Perhaps there’s another DSP in a box solution out there I‘m not aware of. ADC + Equalizer APO seems promising. I already have a PC in the system for running ROON. Wonder if it will...
  15. M

MiniDSP 2x4HD alternatives for PEQ

Hey folks. After much research I’m not seeing many alternative to the MiniDSP for doing DSP based parametric EQ room correction for my application. I know there are tons of preamps / AVRs / integrateds on the market that support some flavor of room correction, but for my system I’d rather insert...
Top Bottom