Recent content by MediumRare

1. MediumRare

Hi end professional studio monitors vs hi end "hi-fi" speakers

Since you give no objective reasons, your statement(s) is merely a subjective opinion. Since this site is Audio Science Review, your posts have no value. Given your apparent (claimed) studio experience please provide some actual information beyond your opinions. As for @echopraxia ’s objective...
  2. MediumRare

Accurate and boring or colored and fun

I am the happy owner of a pair of the name checked 2000-era B&W 804N speakers. I can tell you the soundstage they create is striking, as is their clarity. I have had numerous people walk into the room, stop cold, and say they've never heard a stereo sound as good. (I will add I have a killer sub...
  3. MediumRare

I don't understand what you mean by another computer. There are plenty of EQs for Apple Music and Spotify, I found this one in a few seconds, though I haven't tried it. Might not be spot on, but you get the idea: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/tb-equalizer/id1473111210 Can anyone recommend a...
  4. MediumRare

Low distortion is the goal, not smooth FR

Here's @amirm 's review. "Wow, this is clean! Yes, we have low frequency distortion as displacement and motor non-linearity are not high fidelity items. Chop down that low frequency response [he means roll-off below 30Hz] which is not much anyway but brings boatload of distortion as it does in...
  5. MediumRare

Low distortion is the goal, not smooth FR

Revel M105 fit the bill, both low distortion & resonances and excellent FR. You can find them under $1000 per pair if you know where to look. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/revel-m105-bookshelf-speaker-review.14745/
  6. MediumRare

You did list several expensive and awkward to use EQs, sorry they didn't work for you. In contrast to your frustrating experience, I have found REW (to identify filters) + the Audio Units function in Audirvana to be very easy to use, very effective for music, and free. I'm sure other good music...
  7. MediumRare

Nord Three SE 1ET400A Dual Mono Stereo Amp Review

It looks to me like a very solid choice. Two questions I’d have for Nord: 1. How to choose the best buffer options. 2. Amir’s power results seem 1/2 of what the spec says, so how much power should you expect? 200 is a fair bit better than 100.
  8. MediumRare

Just one more reason to stop drinking the tube kool-aid.
  9. MediumRare

Life begins at 200 wpc into 8 ohms.
  10. MediumRare

You're making a contrast between physical room treatment and EQ or other digital correction. There is no distinction in this case. Both are effective at solving different aspects of room modes. However, let's say you correct an over-lively room with absorption. Good. If your speakers started...
  11. MediumRare

I'm not pre-planning to abandon anything. You're really over-complicating things. Have you ever done room correction? If not, I suggest you start there and then you'll understand.
  12. MediumRare

Sorry, you are completely misunderstanding. I'll try again. - Start clean - Find residual problems (in the room) - Fix them That is easier and more likely to work than your proposal: - Start with problems (poor speakers) - Add more problems (in the room) - Fix compounded problems Does that...
  13. MediumRare

It would be nice to win the lottery, but the chances of having the exact speaker in the exact location to compensate for the exact room mode is even less likely.
  14. MediumRare

@krabapple is correct for several reasons. Among them, speakers that are not flat often are not flat because of a problen such as a resonance. So best to avoid that. Also, a dip in the speaker FR can be quite hard to fix. There are more reasons. So, net, easier to eliminate speaker issues by...
  15. MediumRare

Not really the right analogy: the painting or photo is the work of art. That’s the same as the source for the recording, (including performances and mastering). The playback is the reproduction of the recording, or distribution of the image, in your case. The reproduction must be accurate. Then...
Top Bottom