Recent content by Mean & Green

1. M

Horrible sounds from equalizer

I would set the volume dial to zero when using the input selector switch. That should prevent any nasty feedback sounds from reaching your speakers and ears.
  2. M

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

They certainly could. I’d go as far as saying Sony CD players from this period are among the best players ever made.
  3. M

Sony made a few differing models like this both in the QS and ES ranges in the late 90s. Mine is from 1999. It’s been an utterly reliable machine.
  4. M

My Sony CD Player which I’ve had for 25 years has a puck as part of it’s ’Fixed Pick Up Mechanism’ in which the disc moves over the stationary laser, rather than the other way around. It won’t work without the puck.
  5. M

Recording from Youtube

The way I do it may be considered archaic, but I use an old CD recorder. It’s a fully digital process and has to be done in real time, but it works brilliantly. I just rip the recorded disc to my computer afterwards. Recording onto a CD-RW means I can erase the disc and reuse.
  6. M

One of the things I love about vinyl is the ability to be able to connect with memories. The album pictured used to belong to my father. He is no longer with us, he was a Kim Wilde fan and I actually grew up with these records as a kid. I’ve inherited his entire collection and playing a record...
  7. M

Can I be just nuts?

I’ve often drawn similar conclusions. I’ve heard some very expensive setups in dedicated rooms and have been less than impressed. I once attended a Linn factory tour and heard their full Klimax system with both digital and vinyl front ends. It was about £80k worth of stereo in their purpose...
  8. M

Do we have pro-ject users around?

I’ve never heard wow or flutter either.
  9. M

Do we have pro-ject users around?

I have some Pro-Ject products, ranging from a very basic Elemental turntable through to a Debut Pro turntable and a Phono Box S2 Ultra phono pre amp. I have no experience with their other box components but I can say the following about what I do have. The Phono Box S2 Ultra phono pre seems...
  10. M

Why not use effects to get the sound of vinyl?

That’s it! It’s the same for me, I find it amazing that such an old and crude technology can sound as good as it does. My goal with vinyl has always been to have it sound as close to a digital source as possible and I have found that very satisfying.
  11. M

I completely agree. YouTube’s algorithms often bring his videos up, but I’m yet to actually mange to sit through one without switching it off.
  12. M

Apple Music Streaming quality in Kbps, Losses vs. Hi-Res, AirPlay 1 vs AirPlay 2

How audible are the differences between any of these?
  13. M

In essence you are implying the members of this forum that listen to vinyl are not audiophiles because vinyl isn’t worthy of being an audiophile source in your opinion. Because listeners of vinyl have such low standards compared to you. If what you‘re implying had any merit, suitcase style...
  14. M

I had to laugh out loud at this. What a load of tripe.
  15. M

Does anybody really know what makes turntables hum?

Ah! So you’re an astronaut trying to play records in zero G. Lack of a proper ground connection will be the least of your worries, the record won’t sit on the platter let alone the stylus in the groove. Didn’t even need a slide rule to work that out.
Top Bottom