Recent content by mdsimon2

1. M

Multichannel audio on a Pi will get a whole lot easier and cheaper!

I never routed SPDIF to analog using Cuemix but you can definitely do it in CamillaDSP without issue. Michael
  2. M

@Frunse From the statement "second Motu UL mk5 712€ (Connecting with ADAT 4 CHannels at 96kHz + 2 Chanels SPDIF at 96kHz) works sure on Linux, same Sound performance like on first MOTU UL Volume control on 2 Devices could be only used independent but visually you could sync the Value on screen)"...
  3. M

Looking beyond the single headline SINAD value...

90 dB SINAD at what level? I find calculating system residual noise in uV at the speaker terminals much more useful in evaluating hiss as it is independent of level. Of course if you know speaker sensitivity you can calculate dBSPL hiss from residual noise. If you follow that thread to...
  4. M

Biggest issue I’ve seen with MOTU AVB interfaces on Linux is bit crush type distortion and swapping of channels. I certainly wouldn’t use one on Linux. If you are already using CamillaDSP, why not just use that for volume contro?. I use CamillaDSP to control all digital and analog outputs of...
  5. M

Audiopraise VanityPro Review (HDMI Audio Extractor)

Pair it with a Dolby DP562 decoder and your choice our high performance DACs and you are good to go. I got my DP562 for $40 on eBay. Dealing with DD 5.1 is pretty easy these days. Michael
  6. M

RPi4 + CamillaDSP Tutorial

CamillaDSP accepts wav files. I haven't done much with FIR and REW, but I have exported a few wav convolution filters from REW and uploaded them via Filters under the Files tab. Then under the Filter tab if you select Conv and select your desired filter it should automatically select subtype...
  7. M

Apologize that I keep spamming this thread with display updates, but I made a few more changes to oled.py (dated 03152024 and uploaded to main thread). I realized I could use the set_mode_sleep functionality to instantaneously clear the display after no changes had been made. Similarly, I can...
  8. M

No, not currently. I imagine at some point in the near future rpi.gpio will no longer function, but for now it is OK. Michael
  9. M

Did a bit more optimizing of the oled python code and uploaded updated versions to main post. I think it is now about as good as I will get it. There is still some performance difference between lgpio and rpi.gpio but it is now much less, I find it most noticeable when initially writing the...
  10. M

While looking at example code for SSD1322 displays, I noticed they used a single GPIO write to send a byte to D0-D7. Looking at the documentation for lgpio, I realized it also has the ability to send a byte to multiple pins and to implement a group mask on that byte. I updated oled-lgpio using...
  11. M

Only issue to be aware of is that the MCHStreamer has different clocking options, it can either use it's own internal clock or a clock derived from the SPDIF input. You can change the clocking via amixer or alsamixer. It's been a while since I used the MCHStreamer but I think it has issues if...
  12. M

Thought about this some more, I think on the RPi5 you need to use gpiochip4 instead of gpiochip0. Should just be a matter of changing "chip = sbc.gpiochip_open(0)" to "chip = sbc.gpiochip_open(4)". I also have some C++ test code working with the OLED display using libgpiod. It is faster than...
  13. M

Hmm...I downloaded the lgpio version I posted at it works fine on my CM4. I assume you guys are RPi5s? I haven't set up a display yet with my RPi5 but it is on the to-do list. Michael
  14. M

The only true way to use multiple DACs is to have them sync'd via a SPDIF / AES input using something like a miniDSP U-DIO8. On Mac OS, the aggregate device + drift correction capability does OK for low frequencies but I am not sure I would trust it in the long term. Some threads related to...
  15. M

Gustard A26 DAC & Streamer Review

I am far from an expert in this area but noise shaping is a common technique to improve audio band SNR by shifting noise out of band. A bit of googling or searching ASR for DAC noise shaping will give you more info, some rather simple and some very complicated. As a layman I certainly don't...
Top Bottom