Recent content by mcdn

1. M

"Small form factor" modular multichannel TPA3255 amp build

Dear god I am an idiot. I'll have to redo the review of the 4CH module because it does indeed have two chips in BTL, not one in SE. Even more of a bargain!
  2. M

The board I measured is a single chip design with 4xSE outputs. See section 10.2.1.2.4 of the datasheet for details on using a master clock and inter-channel delays. There's no mention of a resistor, but if used maybe it's for current limiting to protect the output from the master clock in...
  3. M

TPA3255 4-channel module review - $12.50 per channel but is it any good?

No, this is not correct! It is for choosing between single ended and differential input signals. BTL or SE operation of the output requires different hardware and is not switchable
  4. M

TPA3255 4-channel module review - $12.50 per channel but is it any good?

It doesn’t have a “sound”, unless you use it with a very high impedance tweeter and have exceptional hearing. Remember that with these modules most of your cost is going to be in the power supply, case and connectors, plus your time. Unless you are experienced with building amps there are very...
  5. M

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

The graphs are with it off. The amplifiers gain is reduced by the amount of feedback used, but total power will depend on the input buffer gain
  6. M

Dayton Audio OPAL1 speaker launches

High efficiency high power amps are super cheap these days. When a stereo 250Wpc amp is $300, is speaker sensitivity a big deal? Seems like a sensible tradeoff to me.
  7. M

I'm not going to argue with TI, it's their chip :-). However in practice this isn't an issue for complete amps or amps using typical modules. Take two Fosi V3 monoblocks, it doesn't matter if they share a DC power supply (shared 10A) or an AC power supply (2x5A). Each amp has its own internal...
  8. M

Sharing power supplies is irrelevant to that though. The linkage is between the clocks in the amp chips. In principle clock drift between chips can create lower frequency “beating” signals that cause interference with low frequency radios. It’s got nothing to do with noise and even less to do...
  9. M

That… doesn’t make much sense? The power supplies are DC
  10. M

Unless you have an AM radio in the same cabinet it’s irrelevant. I have 4 modules in a diy amp without using the clock slaving and it’s fine.
  11. M

Not true, it’s a great device! I just think since you need an 800W PSU it’s going to have to be internal, and it’s going to have inrush limiting already
  12. M

Of course they do, but I seriously doubt it would make a measurable difference if they were shared in this application.
  13. M

I mean technically you don't need separate reservoir caps for each module, you could put one shared set on the control/power board. If you use something like the Connex SMPS800RS you could even just rely on its output caps (2x4700uF) or replace them with bigger ones. Whatever you do, all this...
  14. M

Wouldn't inrush current be handled by the soft-start thermistor on whatever PSU you are using?
  15. M

Yes but it’s got nothing to do with the TPA3255, it’s a separate circuit
Top Bottom