Recent content by MattJ

1. MattJ

Best Horror movies

Good list. I forgot to mention the Toxic Avenger.
  2. MattJ

Best Horror movies

Haha, great movie. That one, House, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Reanimator were all epic 1980's horror.
  3. MattJ

Best Horror movies

Under the Shadow. Very oppressive atmosphere. The Autopsy of Jane Doe. A neat twist in that one. Upgrade. More Sci-Fi than horror, but some very inventive fight scenes. The Endless. Again, more sci-fi than horror, but really good. mother! More drama than horror, but really ?????? No idea...
  4. MattJ

Best Horror movies

Suspiria, either the original or the remake. I prefer the remake. Much darker and genuinely creepy. A Dark Song. One of my favorite horror movies of all time. Veronica. The end scene is a hair-raiser. Oculus. Under-rated film, IMHO. Agree with above. Martyrs - Original French version...
  5. MattJ

Is Crypto Dead?

I'm not arguing that current implementation is good - quite the opposite. But anything that (in theory) can take power away from banks is not something that I would reject out of hand. But crypto (like self driving cars), as is, is not good.
  6. MattJ

how much Dynamic Range audible in your environment? I was shocked...

Optimally, ie; no dishwasher/clothes dryer/refrigerator/HVAC/neighbor's lawn mower etc running, I get about 73dB range. With any of the previous, it's more like 45-50dB. Although a lot of the music I listen to may only have a 10-20dB range, so.......
  7. MattJ

Is Crypto Dead?

I look at crypto now the same way I look at self driving cars - a good idea, but something I'm not yet willing to try myself.
  8. MattJ

What are the pros/cons of both front and rear ported monitors?

https://us.kef.com/blog/how-to-get-the-most-out-of-your-rear-ported-speakers
  9. MattJ

Michael Fremer Leaving Stereophile?

What in the HELL am I looking at? I don't know whether to laugh or do yoga for an hour. Yikes.
  10. MattJ

What are the pros/cons of both front and rear ported monitors?

In my experience, front ported speakers are somewhat less demanding in room placement, owing to the port facing into the large area of the room. The caveat with that is that port noise (if there is any) will be directed right at the listening position. Rear ported speakers should have less...
  11. MattJ

What was your best (and worst) audio purchase for the dollar?

Best : Hsu VTF2 Mk5 subwoofer. Big and not the best looking, but WOW that bass. Close second goes to a pair of FMod 100hz passive high pass filters. Noticeable improvement in the midrange. Worst : Carver CT17 pre-tuner. Not a train wreck by any means, but sound quality not as expected...
  12. MattJ

Your Favorite Power Amplifier that you have ever owned or currently own and what makes it your favorite

Best sounding amp I have owned is my current Schiit Vidar, solid bass and excellent detail. Most impressive amp I have owned was my Rotel RB850. That thing would continue to play music for close to 30 seconds - after it was turned off! Talk about power reserves. Impressed everyone that ever...
  13. MattJ

Which speakers gave you the *wow* factor?

First time I ever heard Holographic Imaging was from a pair of Infinity RS6000A's. My jaw hung open as I could all but *see* the musicians in the recording. That really started the high end fever with me.
  14. MattJ

ASR burning the wrong witches?

I have always looked at (listened to?) hi fi as a means to extract the most detail out of whatever kind of recordings are put into it. I listen to a lot of "classic" (ie, 1960s - 70's -ish) rock, most of which, despite stellar performances, was poorly recorded. I don't think any hi fi system...
Top Bottom