Recent content by mash

1. mash

(Unofficial) Topping D50 III DAC review and measurements

Nice. For me the PEQ is the big news here. Not in its current form but what it could eventually become. Ideally, I would like to be able to set different profiles for the two outputs so that I could use it to configure the cross over in a 2.1 setup. Also add PEQ support to all the inputs as...
  2. mash

Poll: Audio Science Review in the World (2024)

Cincinnati Ohio.
  3. mash

TOPPING D90 III Sabre DAC Review

Over the last 3+ years, I've updated several of the systems in my house. One of the first ASR recommended boxes that I bought was the original D90 (with AKM DACs). I also own a couple of D10s and a DM70 (note - I have never had an issue with any of the Topping devices that I have bought). At...
  4. mash

Sonos Five Smart Speaker Review

I was an early adopter of SONOS before they ever got into speakers. I even had an original Sonos hand held controller. Sonus largely developed/popularized the whole house consumer market (after SqueezePlay exited the scene). Unfortunately, their early software was terrible. I spent many, many...
  5. mash

Poll: How do you primarily listen to audio at home?

Mainly 2.1 in my office (either Roon/Tidal or Turntable) but I also do a lot of whole house listening (most of the rooms are in-wall/ceiling 2.0 setups). Also, have a dedicated 5.1 theater that I'm looking to upgrade into 7.2.2....just waiting on a decently priced performant AVP that I can...
  6. mash

WiiM Pro Plus Streamer Review

Question: If I want to use WiiM Pro or Pro/Plus for whole house audio, can I do that with Spotify and Tidal sources? From the screen shots, it looks like it supports Spotify/Tidal connect implementations...which are typically single device destination setups. Would I then be able to take that...
  7. mash

Standards for Audio Electronics Measurements?

One slight, change around the marketing of the concept....rather than presenting them to manufacturers as general standards (which sounds a little pretentious). Use them as "minimum" (not guaranteed) specs for a golfing panther recommendation. i.e. they are the standards you are using for your...
  8. mash

Marantz AV10 AV Processor Review

Well, its nice that Marantz seems to finally be paying more attention to measurements than Audio marketing snake oil but the price is killer....and how many people actually use 19 speakers in their Home theater? If they can take the same level of performance, package it in a smaller 9.2 or 7.2...
  9. mash

Matrix Audio mini-i 4 Streamer Review

I was interested in seeing how this would perform. I own a Mini 3 Pro (amongst other RPi streamers) and use it primarily for Roon streaming. I can't complain about my 3 Pro, its a nice unit and has held up well. The Matrix boxes are a bit over priced but I wanted a single box solution for my...
  10. mash

Turntable gift from the US to Australian Prime Minister

As long as they aren't listening to Rage Against the Machine....or maybe they should....take your pick.
  11. mash

Topping E2x2 Audio Interface Review

Looks like a nice value for its intended use cases. I'm not in that market but would LOVE to see the ADC function move over to some of the main stream DAC products. I use my D90 basically as my pre-amp and would love to see a high quality ADC added so that I could directly plug in a phono...
  12. mash

I measured 10 subwoofers.

Great work! Not to be greedy......but, one thing that you might want to consider is adding a post on "How to Read Subwoofer Measurements". Take one set of measurements and put a paragraph under each graph explaining what it is showing, why its important and what you want to look for in a "good"...
  13. mash

Parks Audio Puffin Review (Phono Stage)

Even if you could adjust compensate for Azimuth issues electronically (post turntable)...is that the correct way to do it? i.e., if your stylus is out of alignment with the groove are you potentially causing damage to your records? Seems to me it would be better to fix the azimuth issue at the...
  14. mash

Better distortion numbers and more headroom…… granted that it’s debatable how much actual audible improvement would result but would have liked to see it improve in these areas. That said, the improvements in the physical form factor (don’t really care) and the app based control (nice...
  15. mash

I'm really glad they are updating the Puffin (I own one and love it). I like the new form factor, std digital outs, and moving to a phone interface is a great idea.....but, I would have also liked to see them make some hardware/performance improvements. Sounds like these weren't addressed with...
Top Bottom