Recent content by martin900

1. M

Hifiman Ananda Nano Headphone Review

The wireless version was one of the worst HP's I've ever heard. Tinny and tiring sounding, on higher volumes they were unbearable. Similar to JBL L100/431x series with that extremely strident mid/high range + lackluster low end.
  2. M

Measuring Some Vintage Speakers

Thanks for the effort, however consindering it's been done indoors and most if not all measured speakers show roughly the same response around the 100-400Hz so the value of the measurements is rather questionable, albeit fun to look at.
  3. M

Ascend Sierra-1 V2 Speaker Review

"NFS Optimized" Disappointing, hopefully not another company going similar route after the Chinese pushing the DACs to godknowswhat SINAD levels with NFB and other tricks to get to the top of the chart but forgetting about the most important - sound, something which is purely subjective and...
  4. M

Bricasti M1SE Stereo DAC Review

This only shows that measurements are mostly meaningless when everything boils down to sound, well maybe except for finding critical design flaws like oscillations or uncontrolled high distortion.
  5. M

WiiM Amp Streaming Amplifier Review

Low SINAD + dominant 3rd harmonic, this will not sound nice at all.
  6. M

Why do you think a few members have an 'alcoholic anonymous' vibe towards the audiophile community? It seems a harmless hobby as far as things go?

I'd turn it around and say this is an extremely ignorant point of view from your part actually. For the same reason our brain and ears actually dislike a ruler flat response and fighting SINAD is meaningless for anyone but the manufacturers, hence I consider 95% of the DAC and amplifier...
  7. M

Aune AR5000 Headphone Review

This is a flipping AUDIO forum about AUDIO gear. Mate! So we're going the nauseating car comparison route again I see. I know YMMV but every. single. device. I heard that used DSP sounded plain wrong, even the KII or whatever it was, sounded like forced sh*t. I always hear that the physics...
  8. M

TOPPING D90 III Sabre DAC Review

Yay, destroying the value of the previous models by releasing a 'new' one for a dB of measurement difference. This is why I stay well clear of chinese audio products, crazy depracation because of this.
  9. M

Sonos Five Smart Speaker Review

Say what you want but this is some incredible garbage going on when looking at the distortion chart. It doesn't produce any bass, it produces harmonic distortions below 100Hz. Typical case of trying to achieve the 'with sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine'. DSP doesn't fix physics.
  10. M

NAD PP 2e Phono Stage Review

Do not buy, will die. C-tier capacitors. These things can only be reliably reviewed if the example is less than 2-3 years old at max.
  11. M

JBL 4312M II 3-way Studio Monitor Review

They are nothing more than novelty toys. Alas, if you're going to measure the original 4311/4312, I'd bet they wouldn't look that much different.
  12. M

Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review

Never had any problem with mine. Sounds like a network issue / bad unit.
  13. M

Hifiman Ananda Stealth V2 Headphone Review

They just don't work as headphones imo. No problem with planar speakers but I haven't heard a good PM headphone yet. Always very bass deficient and with a strange zzzing in the higher regions, which are probably the resonances shown in the graphs.
  14. M

Marantz CINEMA 70s AVR - Teardown, personal thoughts and a few measurements

But 30-40 years ago it was not an issue to use A-tier caps like Nippon Chemi-Con, Elna, Panasonic or Nichicon even in lo/mid budget hardware. It's called greedflation - cheaper, faster, more and MFG's need to find a way to make it fail quicker so you'll run to the store to get a new one. Bad...
  15. M

Marantz CINEMA 70s AVR - Teardown, personal thoughts and a few measurements

Yep, even Marantz has fallen - full of garbage capacitors = dead in 5-10 years. Stay well clear.
Top Bottom