Recent content by mannye

1. mannye

Schitt Sol Turntable

I haven’t seen any recent reviews of the RE-tooled table. Can anyone point me to one? I didn’t shit on the Schitt earlier, in fact I thought they were pretty cool just for admitting that the thing wasn’t ready for prime time on the first go-round. I’m not going to go back 25 pages but I do...
  2. mannye

Are "audio grade electrolytic capacitors" snake oil?

Is there a source for information on which manufacturer makes caps and resistors that are the “best” as in “at or close to ratings and stay that way for a long time” ? Unless one is an avid DIYer it’s very hard to know what to buy.
  3. mannye

Are "audio grade electrolytic capacitors" snake oil?

I always thought you paid a little more for better quality caps that stayed within tolerance longer. Same for resistors. So that the circuit would work as designed and as a result, produce the sound the designer intended. Right?
  4. mannye

Schitt Sol Turntable

Me too! I don't doubt that both will last at least as long as the previous iterations, maybe even longer. So it might come down to investing more in the cart and less on the table... to be frank, I've never really like the way the SL-1200 tables look! IMO they look more at home in a...
  5. mannye

Schitt Sol Turntable

The GT-5000 is unfortunately nothing like the direct drive monster of a turntable that came before it. In my opinion, at least from the optics, it seems like a quick hit to capitalize on the success of the re-introduction of the SL-1200 and "vinyl-hysteria" in general. It's a belt-drive...
  6. mannye

Schitt Sol Turntable

Just that I figure that the G is about as close to a “halo” product as I can get with my analog source and my budget. The next step up is the SP-10r and that’s out of my budget range. I know that with the G I can keep upgrading the downstream components and cart and probably not have the source...
  7. mannye

Schitt Sol Turntable

I’ve been back and forth on the whole “which turntable” thing. For 20 years I’ve been perfectly happy with my Music Hall MMF-5 purchased new in late 1999 or early 2000 don’t really remember. It’s the original model with the matte vinyl over MDF plinth and the 115v AC motor. Later versions came...
  8. mannye

Is high sensitivity better?

In reply to the “how much power do we need” thread. One of the posts noted correctly that the amount of amplifier power needed is related to the sensitivity of the speakers. That led me to wonder if high efficiency speakers (And by extension amps) are generally better than low efficiency or...
  9. mannye

Schitt Sol Turntable

I don't own any Schitt products but I’m really glad to see them own up to a mistake and not pussy foot around trying to offer “credit” or vouchers but a full refund. Nothing more can be asked of any company. I may never have considered Schitt products but now that I see this behavior they are...
  10. mannye

Xbox 1 and Amazon Prime audio sync

I guess no one knows. I can try it out for you this weekend. I have the XBOX One 1st gen and Amazon Audio. I'll see how it goes.
  11. mannye

What's your dream system?

EASY! A room big enough to house the following: 5 Genelec 1236 SAM Studio Monitors for the LRC and LR and RR 6 Genelec 1032C Studio Monitors for the rest of the ridiculous Atmos setup 4 Genelec 7380 SAM Studio Subwoofers A serious preamplifier like the Trinov Altitude 16 (I am putting this...
  12. mannye

Optical/laser pickup

Yeah, the original ELP was the one that the creator would personally bring to your home to set up (or something to that effect) back then I think it was much more expensive. These new ones are still very expensive, but nothing a wealthy audio enthusiast or collector couldn't come up with...
  13. mannye

First world problem solved

Yeah but the thing should be a $30 cool accessory. Like so many other things in audio, it's priced to insult intelligence. This popped up on AA last week to similar derision. I do think that a resin version of the same thing all sorts of fun designs could be made and cost like $5 - $10.
  14. mannye

Optical/laser pickup

I was reading the material and couldn't help but think that this is just a miniature AD/DA converter positioned behind a conventional stylus. To be precise, and AD converter that sends a signal to a DA converter. I dunno... haven't heard it though, so anything is possible. I would be...
  15. mannye

Optical/laser pickup

Did I miss it or has no one mentioned the ELP? Are we only talking about laser or optical carts? http://www.elpj.com/
Top Bottom