Recent content by Mal

1. M

Spdif out of Amazon Echo of Fire TV

I use an audio extractor with the firestick to get TV audio into my KEF LSXs via spdif; it certainly sounds a lot better by that route than any other (bluetooth, Aux in...) Amir says a simple audio extractor doesn't downsample...
  2. M

(not that much) desperate manufacturer needing your advise

So instantiate the best of manual EQ? KEF LSX connect app has very simple EQ set up, a limited number of options - you select size of room, whether speakers at edge of table, far from wall... and that's about it. Why not reproduce this in the amp! Then have Schitt Loki tone controls as well.
  3. M

Suggest lesser-known good Sci-Fi films

The Man in the White Suit Quatermass and the Pit Daleks' Invasion Earth War of the Worlds (Harryhausen...) The Time Machine (George Pal...) The Invisible Man (James Whale...) A Clockwork Orange The Day the Earth Stool Still Village of the Damned (1960 film of Wyndham's Midwich Cuckoos) The Day...
  4. M

(not that much) desperate manufacturer needing your advise

Stereo amp with integrated USB DAC of similar quality to best cheapo one-box solutions measured by Amir (Topping 10s DAC, Aiyima 07 amp...), integrated power supply, tone controls (Schiit Modi+ level...), USB in for computer, Aux in for CD player, optical in for TV (with ability to switch easily...
  5. M

Amazon Echo 4 - Teardown and few measurements

UK Which? magazine had a team of "audio experts" review dozens of Bluetooth speakers. They gave the Echo (4th gen) a Best Buy award and pronounced it the best Amazon speaker they had ever heard - and that comparison included the much more expensive Echo Studio! (That said, Google, Sonos, and...
  6. M

How to improve a harsh and artificial sound?

To do what you want (cut off everything above a certain frequency) I think you might have to stay in the digital domain - the Loki is all about wide band alterations, not about cutting off any frequencies completely. I'm not an expert - but, at a guess, it might be worth looking at filtering:
  7. M

Which TPA3255 amp do you recommend?

Do you have a link to him saying it makes an audible difference? I had wondered about why he had them, though! Quick google reveals he uses them in at least one sensible way - to stop sliding about due to "cable pull", etc: https://darko.audio/2022/01/an-update-on-hi-fi-doorstops/
  8. M

Everyone can be suspected of having financial incentives! In this case, he was comparing a Topping 10s with a Schiit Modi, which are both about the same price, and he gave both of them a thumbs up, but made recommendations that they be used in different situations. He certainly doesn't always...
  9. M

Why should I believe you rather than Darko? (And vice versa!) I'll maintain it as a "possiblility" for when it becomes time to buy another DAC!
  10. M

Small desktop speakers with (out) low noise floor

KEF LSX - being a "lifestyle speaker" I guess "no hiss!" was a requirement,... I certainly don't hear any in normal desk use at distance of about 1 - 2 metres...
  11. M

So why is amir wrong to recommend the Aiyima A07? Did he not do the measurements properly?
  12. M

The Topping 10s DAC also has the reputation for being a bit hard & bright (is that what is meant by "masculine"?) So is matching it with the Aiyima A07 a bad idea? I have them in a system with Wharfedale Diamond 9.0... which I think suffers from the usual speaker "showroom brightness". So with...
  13. M

B&W 606 S2 vs ELAC Debut DBR62

Buy both and send back the one you like least? Report back here so we can all benefit from your experience.
  14. M

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

A tablet is tangible, and a lot less expensive than a vinyl collection. I'm not sick of streaming. If some people are sick of streaming, is there a sensible reason for this? The Incas had a ritual of sacrificing people. So what's so good about ritual? You need to ask if the ritual makes sense in...
  15. M

Dali Spektor 1 Review (Bookshelf Speaker)

Another one bites the dust... this is the small, budget speaker I've seen garner the most positive reviews on the internet, but I'm dismissing any speakers with "exaggerated highs" from my list. Ho hum, I guess I'll have to raise my buy in price! What's the cheapest speaker that amir rates...
Top Bottom