Recent content by Mad_Economist

1. Mad_Economist

Was anybody at the Sean Olive talk at CanJam?

Shockingly, the sum of direct sound from many angles and reverberant sound with each direct sound source is very similar to the sum of sound from all possible angles :p
  2. Mad_Economist

ZMF Caldera Headphone Review

In short, not very granular. I think this is my biggest contention with the popular conception of the Harman research: it is an extremely well evidenced general picture of what people prefer, but it is not hyper-specific regarding small features. The most specific adjustment I'm aware of is the...
  3. Mad_Economist

I don't think Sean has specifically advocated having all headphones have the exact same response - certainly, Floyd hasn't advocated having all speakers have the exact same directivity. That level of...specificity in prescription is something I don't see in their work. If I were forced at...
  4. Mad_Economist

I cannot answer for Amir, but I believe I can answer for Floyd and Sean, at least as I understand their positions: Present research on preferences for headphones and speakers is done with extant recordings Ergo, the currently-most-preferred equipment is most preferred with recordings that...
  5. Mad_Economist

I would strongly suggest joining the AES - it will cost less to have an associate membership (which gets you all the papers for free) than it will to buy the full Harman papers alone.
  6. Mad_Economist

I'm sorry to keep banging this drum, but I really feel like it's important to emphasize this: essentially no new study can make the older 60318-4/7/GRAS gear stop being useful. We have decades of research correlating perception and measured results on such systems. That, again, doesn't mean that...
  7. Mad_Economist

Perhaps I'm misreading you, what I was responding to was specifically the sentiment I perceived that 60318-4-only reviews were unsuitable. Like, ideally, yes, both. But an absence of 5128 does not make a review insufficient.
  8. Mad_Economist

I really profoundly don't agree with this, speaking as a strong advocate of the 5128/ITU-T P57 4.3 standard. It has a lot of merits, including: Wider band accurate impedance Accurate impedance at low frequencies relative to the 60318-4 Accurate canal geometry (for if you really want a truly...
  9. Mad_Economist

Harman is working on a new IEM target curve

We maintain a pretty tight ship on that discord - which of course will never prevent folks from being taken out of context, but that's why we ban people for doing precisely that. If you'd like to join and see for yourself, please consider this a formal invitation, we could always use more...
  10. Mad_Economist

We are - well, I am, at least - always eager to get folks with strong opinions who'd like to have a friendly chat on the podcast, for what it's worth. I'm very much hoping to get Sean on again (well, I'm always hoping for a chance to talk to Sean, I kind of embarrassed myself at CanJam following...
  11. Mad_Economist

I assure you, I'm far more disagreeable in person - @Resolve is more timid in person, but @Sean Olive and I banter quite a bit. Re: @GaryH stalking my discord, that's my discord (unaffiliated to Headphones.com, other than folks from said being welcome there), Todd Welti is in there, and Sean...
  12. Mad_Economist

Resolve's B&K 5128 Headphone Target - you can try the EQ's.....

Yes, I should probably mark my sarcasm a bit more clearly - my rhetorical point here is not that Amir should do this, but rather that "compensating" a 5128 measurement cannot transform it into a 45CA measurement. Different pinnae and different headphones interact in novel ways, and attempting to...
  13. Mad_Economist

I have deja vu all over again! I decided to respond to this one by making a publicly viewable google sheet - please feel free to "make a copy" if you feel inclined to play with it. If I recall Sean's presentation correctly, shortly after that slide should be one about the adapted Harman target...
  14. Mad_Economist

Quite literally - and as i said there - that is an assurance I was offering to you that even if you fundamentally mistrusted us, you could have a conversation with us on good faith without any fear that, even if we were maliciously motivated, we would be able to misuse it in any way. I offered...
  15. Mad_Economist

Ah, what the hay, I'm in this thread still (but no promises about replying further) - in the spirit of intellectual charity, I present the impact of volume size on transfer level with a constant displacement probe: from Brüel & Rasmussen's seminal text on ear sims. As you can see, volume itself...
Top Bottom