Recent content by Luke

1. Luke

Ultimate closed back (portable-ish) when using eq

I would consider making an in-ear mic, ideally open earcanal, but blocked earcanal mics are more DIY friendly and are likely still more accurate than a 43AG or 5128 for the listener wearing the mic. You won't have a target of course and that is the biggest drawback, but if you already have a...
  2. Luke

Moondrop enters the OE headphone market

I had the same issue with the Sundara and HE400SE. It's been an issue in general for me and my dumbo ears :D I feel like headphone manufacturers should at least be targeting 65mm+ given the standards and all Oh well, *puts on HD800* I have never been this excited for a headphone release...
  3. Luke

Moondrop enters the OE headphone market

Oh right, my bad :D Yeah, it doesn't look like there's much of a swivel mechanism on the dynamic headphone. Someone posted some photos of them on r/headphones Hopefully it at least has something like the HD600/HD650's swivel mechanism.
  4. Luke

KOSS Porta Pro Review (On-ear Headphone)

I was also surprised by the Porta Pro's spatial qualities when EQ'd. It made me wonder if the pressure created when we enclose our ears inside a small volume is somehow a bag thing. But oratory doesn't think so and I have been told the HD820 and HD800 are similarly spacious sounding when Harman...
  5. Luke

AKG K712 Pro Review (Headphone)

I sold my K712 when I realised the pads alone cost £100 haha I think the K612 is tuned better and the pads are more reasonably priced too :)
  6. Luke

Hifiman Arya Review (headphone)

I tried with the built-in equalizer in REW, so not quite 500 bands haha I used open earcanal mics that sit at the EEP. I couldn't make my HD600 and HD800 sound the same with respect to "spatial qualities". But I think a large part of it is down to how a headphone feels on your head. Do the...
  7. Luke

Hifiman Arya Review (headphone)

@amirm Did the Ananda have similar spatial qualities? Oratory believes the HD800’s “spaciousness” is because you don’t feel anything on your ears, or at least it’s contributing to the illusion (you can almost forget you're wearing them!). And there seems to be a trend here…
  8. Luke

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

I contacted Topping about it when the original DX3 was released. They said there wasn’t enough room for a large display and a 1/4" jack, and that a larger display is preferable.
  9. Luke

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

This would be an instant buy for me if it had a 1/4" jack :(
  10. Luke

Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone)

Some headphones behave worse than others with a less than ideal seal, Keith Howard tests this over at headphonetestlab Ether 2: And the LCD-X for comparison:
  11. Luke

Sennheiser HD 598 SE* Review (headphone)

I'm not sure how many HD598 units oratory has measured, but the one I sent in was the SE version. It's hard to overestimate the impact pads have on the tuning of headphones. It would be like reviewing a used pre-built computer that originally had an RTX 3090, but the previous owner swapped it...
  12. Luke

DROP + SENNHEISER PC38X Review (Headphone)

@MayaTlab I would ask oratory if he'll measure your headphones and then measure them on your head when Harman EQ'd, and use that as some kind of reference. It won't be perfect, but it's better than nothing, and I don't see much variation between Harman EQ'd headphones on my head until about 7...
  13. Luke

Review and Measurements of Audioengine D3 DAC & Amp

Their 2 ohm output-impedance specification has been there for over a year. When I asked in February 2018, they said no revisions had been made to the D3, but at some point the output-impedance specification was changed from 10 ohms to 2 ohms. When I mentioned Archimago's ~10 ohm output-impedance...
  14. Luke

What headphone(s) do you own ?

Sennheiser HD800 Koss Porta Pro
Top Bottom