Recent content by LugsyTL47

1. L

Measuring Some Vintage Speakers

As well as physical design with personality.
  2. L

Measuring Some Vintage Speakers

Great post, thank you for the effort. With results posted on single graph, reinforces what I’ve always known, that I've saved a lot of time by just enjoying my Yamaha’s. Thrown in everyone’s unique room, a couple drinks and music of choice…good times all around.
  3. L

Bluesound Powernode Streaming Amplifier Review

To add, HyundaI/Kia have zero handling capabilities when their engines blow like both our Elentra and Sorento, plus the other 1.6 million in class-action lawsuit in Canada & USA. Cars are bad analogies.
  4. L

Classic Integrated Amplifiers!

I’d certainly be interested to know your results. Recapping is on my list. I have 2x pairs of NS-645, my plan is to recap 1pr of crossovers, then swap and compare “ before & after”. I have a UMK-1 mic & REW, so the ASR way is to measure results as well as listen.
  5. L

Classic Integrated Amplifiers!

My only system: 1976-1978 trifecta of Yamaha CA-1010, NS-670, YP-511 With 1990 thrown in: NS-1 Classics, YST-SW500 May not have s/n, SINAD, flat frequency chart topping specs but it can time travel! I always smile putting on an album my parents bought in the 70’s because it sounds as if they...
  6. L

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

I had a chance to see exhibitions of Renoir and Da Vinci paintings. Like everyone else, I‘ve seen numerous photos, posters of these artists famous works many times. Seeing these same paintings in person was an instant awe inspiring experience. Turns out Da Vinci utilizes the mathematical...
  7. L

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

I had a chance to see exhibitions of Renoir and Da Vinci paintings. Like everyone else, I‘ve seen numerous photos, posters of these artists famous works many times. Seeing these same paintings in person was an instant awe inspiring experience. Turns out Da Vinci utilizes the mathematical...
  8. L

How rare of a breed are we (audiophiles)?

This reminds me of one of my first employers years ago was an Audio shop in a town with two universities. The owner knew many of the faculty members and he would frequently tell us how amazed he was that such highly educated people could know so little about so many things.
  9. L

Vintage amplifiers that could challenge or approach current state of the art amplifiers

I agree with you on “old” being the known denominator (and everyone’s feedback above). I’ve dealt minor issues as they appear already (coupler switch at rear). I see “brown glue” on caps on power boards…maybe my new skill will be learning how to solder something that’s not copper pipe. Then...
  10. L

Vintage amplifiers that could challenge or approach current state of the art amplifiers

This seems appropriate thread to ask my question. I have a Yamaha CA-1010, my only device. Previous owner kept it clean, no parts changed and had tested, adjusted before selling it to me. There is a local respected tech still in business that can do a full restoration, quoted ~$1000 CDN. All in...
  11. L

Inside Yamaha amps

Recent addition NS-670’s from original owner, stands on order. NS-1 Classics, YP-511, CA-1010, CT-1010 and P-2100. SMSL DO100 arrived yesterday, still in box.
  12. L

SMSL DO100 Review (Stereo DAC)

My DO100 arrived today, connecting to vintage Yamaha P-2100 professional series amplifier that has been rewired/updated and RCA inputs added, also has XLR inputs (unbalanced). I’ve never had gear with XLR options or a power amp. DO100 specs show output 2.0Vrms RCA , 4.0Vrms XLR. Two question...
  13. L

Topping E70 Stereo DAC Review

I guess you’ll need to retest those 14x DACs after having ears plugged for a year
  14. L

KEF LS50 Meta Review (Speaker)

I’ve been considering LS50 Meta or Monitor Audio Studio. Has anyone heard both to compare? I‘m in 10’x12’ room, speakers & TV 6ft away. Ceiling is 25ft high. https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/support/past-products/studio-1g/studio/
Top Bottom