Recent content by loafeye

1. L

Hav you ever looked at used high end equipment and it looks like someone dragged the unit behind their car on a rope?

In the U.S. back in the "wild, wild west" didn't they drag people they had no use for down main street by a rope behind a horse? Maybe it's like that.
  2. L

AR Acoustic Research (OLDER) model number speaker with elliptical midrange- model no.?

The top pic of the AR-2s- not particularly exotic-looking on the inside, is it? A guy halfway decent as a wood worker could remove the HF drivers, enlarge the cutout, put some cleats in the back corners and install a half-shelf, then mount the elliptical midrange, cut the HF drivers' mounting...
  3. L

AR Acoustic Research (OLDER) model number speaker with elliptical midrange- model no.?

I've always thought it an odd choice, but if the idea was to maximize the amount of driven air, and with the tweeter at the top and the woofer at the bottom, it might make sense to "go sideways" to squeeze as much cone surface area out of the limited space. I've only read that there is no reason...
  4. L

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I understood your meaning. I didn't own the speakers and don't have a pic of them. If I had a photo, the speakers in the photo that I would have, would look very much like the speakers in the pic I posted except, as I mentioned above, for the logo...
  5. L

They looked a lot like these, but I don't remember that the AR logo included the model number. The cabinets were easily 2-ft tall, but they weren't floor-standers, they were perched on four-legged, 12-15" high walnut stands, the same shade as the speakers, which were the same shade as the...
  6. L

Many moons ago, I took the opportunity (sans explicit permission) to listen to an "old" tube stereo system from the '60s or '70s, which used Acoustic Research speakers mounted in wood cabinets with expensive-looking speaker cloth, that look from the outside like the 1954 AR-1. What continues to...
  7. L

Does an analog amplifier affect the DAC signal?

No. The port helps your speaker "breathe" with additional frequency response, depending upon where it is placed. Find a really good pair of rear-ported speakers on the internet, download the user manual, and read what the manufacturer has to say about "setting up the speakers". Or maybe you...
  8. L

Basic Sub-woofer addition question for stereo music

Thanks for your response. I was unaware that "most" power amps (or power amp stages in integrated amps) use engineered gain at 28-32 dB, though I guess the gain is also dependent on the voltage it sees from the preamp. So this now makes sense to me that in choosing a sub or subs, that the...
  9. L

Basic Sub-woofer addition question for stereo music

How to gently ask: Is the following true or false? Setup: 1 pair of active speakers. I add a powered sub-woofer, or a pair of subs (the subs would match, as best as manufacturing tolerances allow). So now I have a stereo sound system with 2 amps, or 3 amps if I've added a pair of subs. I...
  10. L

Collaborate on the "New to the ASR Forum FAQ" here

If one were to peruse the NASIOC web site, FAQs would be found pertaining to common elements of ownership questions and issues for that brand of automobile. It looks quite helpful. At the moment, I think what I would find most helpful at ASR: an index of the gear that @amirm recommends (as...
  11. L

Do We Want All Speakers To Sound The Same ?

I think that for some reason you won't grasp the whole, you seem to want to pick one piece and put a hole in it. It's not at all like your burgers; the point is , that you agree that there will only be a reference-burger, no MacDonald's burgers exist, so you will be educated to believe that...
  12. L

It's OK with me, especially in that you actually read my post, so thank you, but you took the one statement out of my post, and replied to it out of context with the rest of my post. It was only a part of my reply to the question "Do we want all speakers to sound the same?" So the single...
  13. L

We want them to all sound the same; a perfect reproduction that we can butcher to suit, if we so choose. You have two speaker cabs that are exactly alike (A and B), they both measure perfectly, but B has a tweeter with a slight tear in it. B measures poorly as compared to A, and sounds like...
  14. L

Adding woofers to 2-way cabs

Thank you for the lead-in/pointer. For the purpose I'm asking after above, to use a DSP it seems I'd need a second 2-channel amp for the passive speaker pair I want to add, and then be restricted to using a volume control upstream of the DSP.
Top Bottom