Recent content by liquidman101

1. L

Starting with turntables

Hi Robin L - hope you don't mind me asking you a question. Agree with your post re: the advantages of cds - although one day when I can afford it I will subscribe to a decent streaming service I guess. I was in a store recently that sells LPs that are for the most part in very good condition. I...
  2. L

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

I agree with a most of the statements in this thread. It's very much a matter of each to their own. I am just super grateful for this site - where I can exchange views and get advice from people who have a wealth of knowledge about audio and are happy to share. It is also a joy to listen to...
  3. L

What electronic audio products you want tested most

Thanks greatly for your reply. I agree on the whole 'ripping' term thing. I think I am like you as in I don't currently stream music. Not to say I won't in the future. I was thinking of getting one of the DACs recommended on the ASR site (maybe a Topping or Gustav) in order to get music from...
  4. L

What electronic audio products you want tested most

Does anybody still use cd players? I still have a heap of cds I need to rip to a HD. I notice Amir doesn't review cd players?
  5. L

Ripping CD collection

I must admit I did not know that cds can deteriorate. I thought they were more or less bullet proof. I guess it just goes to show everything is ephemeral. I remember going a bit nuts once trying to work out how to archive music, photos etc. (most of which I never look at or listen to of...
  6. L

Aussie amateur audiophile seeking savvy recommendations for desktop setup

I actually did ring Edward at Adelaide speakers about 6 months ago re: speakers and found him to be so generous with his time. A hiccup in my finances has prevented me from ordering the speakers at this time but I will be doing so soon. I will buy them sans a listening test, which is heresy I...
  7. L

Any recommendations on diy speaker build kits?

He has ' a lot of ideas' like Einstein had 'a few interesting theories'. That website scared the hell out of me - I'd have no chance of doing any of that. I just have to bow down in awe of his work. :)
  8. L

Wow! I'm constantly amazed at what clever types can achieve. I guess I should challenge myself and give something like that a go.
  9. L

DIY Passive Speaker Kit for First Timer (Near-Field on Desk)

Thanks for that advice - yes the shipping costs might mean I have to look locally for a a speaker kit but then again - the cost of some high-end bookshelf speakers may mean that it is still cost effective to get them shipped over here to Oz.
  10. L

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

Thanks for your input on the Elacs - I think I need to go hear them for myself, as you say that is the only way to know. Can I ask - what do you mean when you say speakers are 'fatiguing'? Thanks.
  11. L

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

Thanks for the heads up on the Elacs. Any idea what you are going to replace them with? I am thinking of going with the Revel M16s or maybe even a good speaker kit from CSS or GR Research - but I'm worried I might stuff it up :)
  12. L

I wish Ikea would do a speaker kit - if you could put it together with an Allen Key I might have a chance......... My head is spinning with what you are saying about putting amps in passive speakers - guess I'll have to google that one. Hope I have more success than I did the time I tried to...
  13. L

DIY Passive Speaker Kit for First Timer (Near-Field on Desk)

Bit late to this party - I just discovered CSS on the web - but I am in Australia and not sure if they ship here. I discovered them after becoming interested in DIY speakers after watching a guy from GR Research take apart a pair of $3000 speakers and show how poor quality were the components...
  14. L

NAD C268 Power Amplifier Review

So JCVan - are you saying the NADC368 is not quite up to scratch? What would you use instead an AB amp? I'm getting confused again :) Thanks for your input though - much appreciated before I take the plunge so to speak. Would like to get it right as I'm scratching round for pennies to buy this...
  15. L

NAD C268 Power Amplifier Review

Would this amp drive the Elac Debut reference dbr62s? Thanks if you have time to reply.
Top Bottom