Recent content by Linearphass

1. L

Audible difference in high-end capacitors? - ABX samples

Kelvin test leads are a great way to measure impedance. I use mine mine nearly every day on my impedance bridge. Don’t know what that has to do with deficiencies in alligator clip leads. Except perhaps that cntl later clarified that he has selected and soldered his clip leads to improve them. I...
  2. L

Audible difference in high-end capacitors? - ABX samples

Thank you for you efforts in making all these measurement. Because I spent my whole life working in the field of test and measurement I must point out you can not make any credible tests , either listening or measuring, using alligator test leads. The reason in these type of leads often have...
  3. L

Power Supply Mod Testing for Schiit Magni 3+

Absolutely right about measuring supply noise. In addition inexpensive scopes commonly used in DIY or small businesses are quite noisy. I lifted this off the web but It is close to the technique I have used for years: I am going to contribute the technique that I use for measuring power supply...
  4. L

Capital Audiofest 2022 - November 11th-13th

Let me give you a short calibration so I help you to understand my response. 1. The individual I was responding to asked for a comparison of advantages of fully active over passive implementations. My response was made in that context. 2. Since I retired in 2011 I help people all over the world...
  5. L

Once again my initial response was to a specific question from an individual regarding the 521. You seem to have plenty of issues with my response and I am OK with that. I did not read the paper you referenced because the link was broken. Upon further research I think I found what you were...
  6. L

I just saw this response and hope to clarify the comments I have made. my answered are interspersed therein. For background I am an EE who worked in test and measurement for 32 years at Tektronix, one the the leading companies in the world for measuring all things electrical. During that time I...
  7. L

Munich Hi-End

That is an easy mistake to make. In the original variant that was the case. There was passive crossover between the low mid and the high mid. The newer version has no passive crossover. Each driver has it own amplifier , except for the tweeters, they share an amplifier. There is only a short...
  8. L

Munich Hi-End

Why do you ask?
  9. L

Benefits of using active crossovers with one power amp per driver: 1. Much better control of drivers due to directly coupling drivers to low output impedance amps with VERY SHORT cables. 2. Reduced distortion in system due to each amp only having to cover only a limited frequency range. For...
  10. L

Pre-ringing with linear phase room EQ filters

What kind of all pass filter does this have? What I am getting at is how severe is this preringing?
  11. L

Acoustic Measurements: Understanding Time and Frequency

Very nice, can you do group delay the same way?
  12. L

On the bottom graph don't you want to use excess phase instead of phase? This assumes you are trying to build a minimum phase vs a linear phase system.
  13. L

I will have to try that. I have messed with FDW before but never for phase. In general I have tried to fix the speaker phase response anechoically before dealing with room issues. It appears that the ears and brain are able to deal with some degree of room reflections and the effected they have...
  14. L

Acoustic phase measurements of loudspeakers

Well clearly the ML's interact with the room much less that the JBL's. This is as good as any I have seen. Do you have diffusion or absorption on the front wall? I note that your room is moderately dead and fairly flat on the R60 curves. how do the image in that room?
Top Bottom