Recent content by Liberte

1. L

Mid-range open-back headphone suggestions

The DT1990 are semi-open and have good quality bass while still sounding airy and detailed. They're also easy to drive and very well built, with fully replaceable parts. They are geared towards studio use so you may hear the flaws in some of that 70s rock but I find them very enjoyable with...
  2. L

I’ve completed my headphone journey

I don't have a lot of IEM xperience but the Xelento are perfect sounding to me, with an 'out of head sound', very satisfying bass with a lot of detail and they don't feel like you're wearing anything. The Gen2 was double the price, with less bass, less treble and more ostentatious design, all...
  3. L

Mojo as Desktop DAC Troubleshooting

Thanks for the tip, the Topping USB isolator works well but I'll bare this in mind for the future.
  4. L

Solid Dac Amp for Focal Elex?

I use this for when I want to plug my Elex into a 3.5mm source, it puts less physical strain on my source's (Mojo) output than a non-wired adapter. https://en-us.sennheiser.com/accessories--adapter--jack-plug--gold
  5. L

USB to Optical/Spdif

The Topping HS01 solved the issue of the high pitched squealing noise using the chain iMac > Mojo > Powered Speakers. :)
  6. L

USB to Optical/Spdif

It's an iMac/desktop so no option for battery, but thanks for the info.
  7. L

USB to Optical/Spdif

Ha yeah the iFi went straight back, if you're in the UK we probably had the same one! My balanced DAC (M-DAC) is also fine, although I can use the RCA outs with no issues either. I feel pretty confident the USB to optical is going to help so have a Douk U2 on the way from China. I will however...
  8. L

USB to Optical/Spdif

I think it is a groundloop problem which the Mojo is sensitive to, as I only have issues with the Mojo in the middle of Mac and Active Speakers, in every other chain it's OK. Mac > Mojo > Headphones - Good Phone > Mojo > Active Speakers- Good Mac > M-DAC/FC3/Apollo DACs > Active Speakers - Good...
  9. L

USB to Optical/Spdif

Thank you, I find the descriptions of the skysong on Ali a bit confusing, do you use an external power supply with it? There's no clear pictures of the I/O head on and looks like a power connection on the same side as the USB. Edit: I have seen your review and can see it is indeed a power...
  10. L

USB to Optical/Spdif

Thank you so much for the quick replies. I had already found the Douk U2 and great to see it measures well and doesn't cost the earth. The highest bitrate music I have is 96kHz, I think one 192 kHz album, so some of the other suggestions may be overkill, although don't cost much more for future...
  11. L

USB to Optical/Spdif

When using my Mac's USB connection to a Chord Mojo to powered speakers I have a high pitched noise, it seems to be fine when tested with optical outputs, however my Mac has no optical output so I'm looking for an acceptable convertor, if anyone has some suggestions it would be appreciated. I...
  12. L

Focal elex in the uk?

I'd like your comment that you use them all the time to fill me with confidence on the Elex's reliability, but in the post just above you said you had a blown driver. I saw a post about how sometimes the issue not being the driver but a piece of delicate soldered wire which breaks. There's even...
  13. L

Focal elex in the uk?

I picked up Elex from npaudio and they're amazing headphones. I don't use them often as they don't really feel like daily drivers, for that I use the German tank DT-1990. The Elex is more for special occassions, that airy sound is truly something else. The only issue I noticed is a slight quiet...
  14. L

Mojo as Desktop DAC Troubleshooting

Hi there, I wasn't sure which section to post in so hopefully this is ok here. I recently picked up a Chord Mojo, it sounds fantastic but I'm having one issue. When using it as a preamp for powered monitors with computer as the source, I get a high pitched noise coming through. With...
  15. L

Can't Open Threads?

Thanks Amir that did the trick :)
Top Bottom