Recent content by LF78

1. L

Car DSP or AMP

Personally I need to have at least a decent audio quality in my car. What I always do is, I choose the most basic setup when I buy a new car, since those Harman Kardon, Bowers & Wilkins, etc... "upgrade" packages are rarely worth the price. Then I simply bring the car to an audio installer and...
  2. L

Casting YouTube to speakers is worth so much to Google that they killed Chromecast Audio to stop it competing with their music hardware & services.

The thing is: Chromecast Audio works only when connected to the internet (also when streaming local media), because it works using cloud services from Google. Apart from hardware failures, Google could decide to make all Chromecast Audio devices useless in one second. Scary thought, I know :)
  3. L

Casting YouTube to speakers is worth so much to Google that they killed Chromecast Audio to stop it competing with their music hardware & services.

Please add also the TOSLINK digital out! :) I have my Chromecast Audio connected with TOSLINK to a MiniDSP and it works like a charm... I'm always praying it will not break, otherwise I would need to rethink my entire chain :(
  4. L

Wine Thread

Wow, coming from a Frenchmen this is really flattering :) Not really typical, but a landmark for sure: this is Ponte Vecchio (old bridge) in my city, Florence. Houses there are high end jewellery shops.
  5. L

Wine Thread

I suggest you to try also some other wines from the same region (Tuscany): Brunello di Montalcino Morellino di Scansano Any wine from the Bolgheri area I'm not an expert in any way, but this is my "objective" check list when I want to try a new bottle: Presence of standard classification...
  6. L

Speakers cable help

I got this one from Amazon and I'm satisfied: https://www.amazon.it/DCSk-Hi-Fi-casse-altoparlanti-bianco/dp/B019545M6S/
  7. L

Beware the FAKE "CE" mark

Why don't they simply put a "real" (from a design standpoint) CE mark?
  8. L

MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

This is very interesting. Any analysis or data about the added - noise? - above 15 kHz?
  9. L

So isn't it lossy by definition? Lossy in the sense that bit depth of the original file is reduced. Interesting. So can we say that MQA is lossless up to 16 bit and lossy from 16 to 24? This point is not really clear to me, because some sources says that it's lossy even for the first 16 bits:
  10. L

Apart from all the concerns about DRM and market domination, this is what I understood from a strictly technical standpoint: MQA is a lossy codec, more similar to the old ADPCM (adaptive bit depth reduction) than to the "new" perceptual encoders (MP3, AAC, etc...). For 44.1 kHz/16 bit standard...
  11. L

Remastering (Improving) your own Audio Albums as Big F.Y. to corporate Loudness War trend.

So I checked in the actual code, and found this comment: ;; Algorithm by Benjamin Schwartz ;; Clip Fix is a simple, stupid (but not blind) digital-clipping-corrector ;; The algorithm is fairly simple: ;; 1. Find all clipped regions ;; 2. Get the slope immediately on either side of the region ...
  12. L

Remastering (Improving) your own Audio Albums as Big F.Y. to corporate Loudness War trend.

Declipping functions try to reconstruct the missing waveform interpolating it with some algorithm: Audacity: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/clip_fix.html Audition: https://helpx.adobe.com/audition/using/diagnostics-effects-waveform-editor-only.html#declipper_options
  13. L

This is what I personally use, it's free and pretty user friendly to me: https://www.audacityteam.org/
  14. L

So finally I managed to listen to Californication "rough mixes" and WOW! So much better. Thanks for the tip!
  15. L

Linear Phase filter settings. Topping: How we (ASR) can help?

So basically you're suggesting that Topping added an additional logic to their DACs specifically to fool measurements, just like Volkswagen did for "Dieselgate". I think it should be easy to prove it though, just measure SINAD using a frequency different than standard 1 KHz, or measure it with...
Top Bottom