Recent content by levimax

1. L

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

-75 dB is the electrical noise floor I assume.... the "roar" is always much higher than that more like -40 dB as best. Maybe it is that I have never played a "lacquer" before... where would I find one to play? I am not knocking vinyl as I enjoy it but -75dB or even -60 dB seems VERY optimistic...
  2. L

I never buy them new but see them used and in more or less unplayed condition for cheap and sometimes take a chance and am usually disappointed.... I have had similar experience with both vinyl and CD box sets unfortuneately.
  3. L

Both are unreliable .... I really have no idea but neither is a "fact" you can rely on. If my experience is any indication (which it isn't really) I have not had great luck with "box sets"... they look nice and are new but the sound quality is hit or miss at best... usually miss (compared to...
  4. L

If you are selling a new box set where you get royalties of course you are not going to say that the originals were better and you will say that the new box set is better. While what Wilma says may be true, self serving marketing oriented comments can't be take to be "proof" of anything.
  5. L

Yea it is pretty stupid to have a system that is limited to only being able to play digital and say it is some how better than a system that can play both vinyl and digital.
  6. L

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

The problem is unless the equipment you are comparing is level matched and blind it is not a useful test.
  7. L

ASR burning the wrong witches?

I don't want to be too cynical but the reason for remasters is not to improve recordings but rather to sell the same music over and over again. I don't have hard numbers to back it up but in my experience of trying to hunt down my favorite mastering of my favorite recordings the remasters more...
  8. L

Time aligned speakers - do they make sense?

My point is Vandersteen is saying listening test are invalid because of the "emotional mind" vs the "analytical mind" when listening. If we evolved to stay safe via sound localization it does not make sense that we have to be in a certain "emotional state" in order to stay safe. My main issue...
  9. L

See below from the Vandersteen link, this is a bold claim without any proof: We enjoy music as an emotional experience. We are drawn into good music, exhilarated by exciting music, relaxed by soothing music, and put-off by bad music. In a listening TEST, people put away their emotions and try...
  10. L

The problem with a lower mid to tweeter cross is SPL / power handling limits of the tweeter at lower frequencies. Everything is a compromise / tradeoff.
  11. L

A 12" woofer to 3" mid is less of a jump than a 1" dome to a 6" mid-woofer which is probably the number one most common 2 way bookshelf configuration. In the context of driver time alignment / blending / DSP / brick wall crossovers it is a consideration for why brick wall crossovers are not a...
  12. L

Very interesting, I learned a lot, thank you. I am still a little fuzzy on some details. After reading your post my understanding is that linear phase crossovers don't ring because the ringing is cancelled out by the two filters at the crossover point. So here a few questions. How about...
  13. L

Using 16th order / brickwall filters to improve driver alignment and phase brings up the question of which is more audible phase issues or filter ringing neither of which are well studied as far as I can tell.
  14. L

XLR output to RCA input done properly?

In order to keep the noise rejection of balanced connections I like either transformers or a simple active circiut. THAT chips are great but here is a cheap and easy discrete solution that works very well https://sound-au.com/project87.htm just use closely matched resistors and you can get 60 dB...
  15. L

MM vs MI vs MC

Just so I can follow along: 1. I am looking at the Boron Tube broken off with no diamond correct? 2. The elastomer donut is the soft looking thing but what is the other round metallic object? Thanks
Top Bottom