Recent content by LearningToSmile

1. L

It seems my ears are not made for IEMs, as I have sealing issues with every single IEM I've tried - any advice?

It's unfortunately a common problem with some IEMs. I have heard about it with Zero:2, I'm actually picking a pair up today so I will see if I have the same issue. Personally I experienced it the worst with Kiwi Ears Cadenza. Large tips might actually make the problems worse - they might make...
  2. L

Best headphones in the $500-$800ish range?

The only headphone I'm personally interested in that price range is the upcoming Drop + Grell OAE1 since they're at least attempting to do something interesting that might not be possible to replicate with EQ. Should be around $500, and coming "soon"(rumor has it preorders at the end of this...
  3. L

New Tidal prices

Yeah, I was very surprised they just reached out and confirmed they're cutting my subscription cost in half instead of staying quiet and grandfathering me into a worse deal. Gotta say, I kinda stayed with Tidal because of inertia after doing their free trials years ago, but moves like this and...
  4. L

Drop + Grell Signature Edition

Anyone at CanJam NYC? The final version is getting demo'd there. Apparently they tamed the treble and added more bass, which makes audiophiles complain, but makes me happy. Preorder rumored by the end of the month. Hoping for some measurements before then.
  5. L

Financial status of YouTube reviewer

Worth keeping in mind that the revenue from youtube itself and youtube-integrated ads is a small part of income of any full-time youtube creator these days. Sponsored segments in videos and direct funding from the audience via services like patreon pay the bills most of the time.
  6. L

Have you experienced new audio gears change your music preference? (Genre/player/vocal)

Yeah, absolutely. Bass matters a lot more when you can actually play it. Also it turns out a lot of old songs that my parents used to listen on the oldies station on the crappy radio we used to have when I was a kid actually do sound perfectly lovely - once you play them on a decent system.
  7. L

New Sennheiser HD490 Pro

Not sure what the official MSRP is but I see them from $399 to $479 up for preorder, which seems a bit steep. Suppose they do need to recuperate the cost of shipping with two pair of pads but it seems kind of a waste as I'm sure most people will settle on just one. They do specifically boast...
  8. L

Why so little discussion of Austrian Audio?

Their initial effort with X55 wasn't great, then they released some other stuff that was better but never really caught a buzz, maybe because people wrote them off or there was no novelty anymore. Personally I'd love to hear X60 someday when I get a chance. But recently since they've ventured...
  9. L

Dan Clark E3 Headphone Review

If it was half the price, I'd be ordering one now. As is, still a bit too expensive for me, but definitely a step in the right direction(and definitely something I'll be scouring the used market for in a couple years). Impressive that there really don't seem to be any compromises.
  10. L

JDS Atom Amp 2 Headphone Amplifier Review

Awesome, now if only local dealers here in Europe wouldn't have scalping prices on JDS Labs products that would be great(seriously, Atom Amp+ is $248 here while it's $99 on JDS labs website... there's VAT but that's only 23%, it's a bit of a joke)
  11. L

Are ASR members headphone or loudspeaker users?

I find it hard to imagine a situation where someone uses loudspeakers 90% of the time until you simply don't listen to anything when you can't use speakers. I use speakers most of the time when I'm at home and it's reasonable hours. But when it's out of these hours I use headphones, and also...
  12. L

(Europe) Master Deals Thread on Audio Product Sales

Nova for $127 too, surprised it's on sale so soon. Will probably get a pair.
  13. L

(Europe) Master Deals Thread on Audio Product Sales

Great deal, luckily subwoofers aren't included or my wallet would be in some trouble.
  14. L

Drop + Grell Signature Edition

I've been interested in those since the first pictures became available. Drop might not have the best reputation anymore, but Axell Grell's work is well known, and I'm very curious how pushing the angled driver concept to its logical conclusion will turn out in regards to soundstage. Mostly I'm...
  15. L

Moondrop Paradise, Amazing curves!

Seems alright, and the price is decent. I rather enjoy Moondrop's headphone industrial design as well, at least the higher tier ones. It's just boring to see yet another headphone with flat/slightly rolled off bass. Not exactly groundbreaking there. I'm hoping for the day when the kind of...
Top Bottom