Recent content by L0rdGwyn

1. L0rdGwyn

Tube-y Tube Amps

Sorry, I don't do commission builds any more, just don't have the time (and frankly, it just isn't worth the money). The pre-built version via ZMF going to be released this year. As I mentioned, we should have demo units available for audition at CanJam New York and some reviews / impressions...
  2. L0rdGwyn

Tube-y Tube Amps

Here are some pics from various people who have built, they've gotten creative with it aesthetically. I've experimented with a lot of single-ended tube circuits, this is a pretty good one if I do say so myself, and relatively simple compared to some other designs that I've made using lots of...
  3. L0rdGwyn

Tube-y Tube Amps

@majingotan tagged my DIY project, if you are up for doing it yourself, it's beginner friendly as far as DIY goes. You can see lots of photos on the Head-Fi thread, maybe some 30 or so of these amps have been built. People are very happy with the sound. I wouldn't call it super "tube-y"...
  4. L0rdGwyn

ZMF Caldera Headphone Review

Alright, I cannot argue any more, I will be turning off notifications. Anyone who wants to quote me, I offer you the last word. Regardless of the different viewpoints, ultimately this is about enjoyment of music, so I hope you all are able to accomplish that in your own way. Adios!
  5. L0rdGwyn

Right, my point is a headphone that does not adhere to Harman will not be recommended without EQ, even if it is strong in every other area.
  6. L0rdGwyn

Here, let me show you how that might not have been obvious. My argument has not changed. If it is going to be made an industry standard - and yes that potentially means less choice as more headphone manufacturers adapt to it - then it should be validated. Anyone who is going to argue that...
  7. L0rdGwyn

Yes, I know. As I've said, I've been on this forum longer than any of you, I know the drill, I've participated in these discussions multiple times. I never claimed tubes were objectively better, what I said was: That does not mean it is objectively better, only that I think it sounds good...
  8. L0rdGwyn

It's not perfect, but that's why it's an analogy. The sentiment is the same: people don't want to be prescribed preferences, even if it's based in market research.
  9. L0rdGwyn

I don't disagree with you, and I do believe in the scientific method and verifiability, which is why I suggested the Harman research should be verified before being put into practice or measured against as an industry standard. Here's an analogy that maybe illustrates better my feeling - say...
  10. L0rdGwyn

You always know the right thing to say @MacClintock .
  11. L0rdGwyn

I've had a thought - and this appeals to my DIY sensibilities - to build this amplifier into a blind testing box. I can use a 4PDT switch that simultaneously corrects the feedback and the level match, and I can send it on a tour with each user telling me which position they prefer, and it will...
  12. L0rdGwyn

Okay, if I pursue it I will report it here. At the very least I will be prototyping that circuit again, if I do not build it out into a fleshed out amplifier in entirety, so the opportunity will be available.
  13. L0rdGwyn

Yes, if the feedback level is changed, the output needs to be re-adjusted to match the previous levels.
  14. L0rdGwyn

Sorry I should have been more specific - a dearth relative to other fields of scientific study. It's great people are pleased with that product and it makes them happy, I hope it makes their lives more fulfilling. But again, the end result of that research is selling a product, hardly changing...
  15. L0rdGwyn

Another dagger to the heart, I am felled. I have been a member of this forum longer than you, or @MacClintock , or @isostasy . I am very familiar with the ethos, the belief in blind testing, the Harman target. In fact, there was a time when I would have been spouting the same talking points...
Top Bottom