Recent content by ksulliva01

1. K

DBR62 vs DIY Speakers

I've spent some more time with the CSS Criton 1TD vs the Elac DBR67. The major subjective differences I hear in my somewhat small listening room are below: Deep Bass: Critons win hands down here - they extend much lower and they punch/pressurize the room more aggressively. They are literally...
  2. K

Ear Directly Next to Tweeter Sounds Weird

I know that quantization sound, it's somewhat akin, but this was a 16bit file. I guess its just very low-level distortion that's audible up-close on highs. Going to try some different amps to rule that out, although the amp I'm using measures very low distortion.
  3. K

DBR62 vs DIY Speakers

A little late here, but I've enjoyed a pair of the DBR62s for the past few years and just recently built the CSS Criton 1TD (not the x version). I've only had a day or so to listen so far, so I'll report back once I've had more time with the Critons. First impressions below: 1) DIY - I had a...
  4. K

Ear Directly Next to Tweeter Sounds Weird

Recently built a pair of DIY bookshelves. Upon completion, the instructions say to (very quietly) listen to each individual driver with your ear right up against it to ensure that the connections, crossover etc. are working. When I put my ear right up against the tweeter I notice what sounds...
  5. K

Proper Amp Ventilation to Avoid Overheating

Those who know more about electronics than me - if an amp's chassis is completely cool / room temp to the touch, and the amp has been running for a few hours at decent mid-high volume levels, does this mean there are no issues with overheating? I ask because of a recent shelving change, I've...
  6. K

Review and Measurements of SONOS Amp

The other day I bought a Mid-70's Pioneer SA5200 for fun off of craigslist. Thought it would sound loads more "analog" or "warm" than the Sonos. To my surprise they sound extremely similar. To the point that I would probably not be able to tell which one was playing in the room, if I just walked...
  7. K

In the Sonos app, while TV audio is currently playing through the Amp, go to "system", where you route the audio, and you should see something like TV Audio on the little tab for your amp. Select that tab, and when it pops open there are two circular buttons at the bottom for night mode and...
  8. K

I do notice this issue a bit. Chalked it up to my lack of a center channel (despite the phantom center). It’s not a huge issue, I just find that it I turn it up loud enough that dialogue in quiet scenes is easily heard, when the action kicks in I end up turning it down a few notches as my living...
  9. K

I have this combo running right now in my living room. Sounds excellent. In my room, a sub is not needed. If I didn't have nice neighbors living downstairs I would run a sub. That being said, I'm totally fine without one, and this has not been the case with other bookshelves in this space. With...
  10. K

If "Tube Sound" Is a Myth, Why Tubes?

I’ve tried to approximate this by sending audio via airplay 2 from my Mac to my class D amp. Using “audio hijack pro,” an app that allows you to drop any plugins on your system into the audio chain before output, I’ve added some high end and highly respected tube mastering emulation plugins to...
  11. K

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

Agree with @Chromatischism - you're probably sitting at a point where the bass coming out of the speaker and the bass bouncing off the walls is cancelling out. My last apartment had this issue bad - right where my couch was, with no option to really move anything. Using a simple tone generating...
  12. K

Interesting way of putting this - but I know exactly what you mean and I've noticed this same "lensing"effect. Different recordings exhibit it more prominently. On certain recordings I think it may actually be a subjective enhancement, adding a bit of the "refinement" that these speakers are...
  13. K

I haven't messed with it yet, and just to be clear it's not really any kind of major problem, and as @Chromatischism mentioned this is an inherent quality to any traditional (non-omni directional) stereo setup. It's just a minor OCD thing that I hope to improve upon, as the directionality seems...
  14. K

Been really enjoying these speakers, but there's one slight issue I've been noticing with imaging in my room - the "sweet" spot in which centered tracks appear to be dead center only works when I'm sitting exactly dead center. Now I understand that not all vocals or dialogue is panned to dead...
  15. K

I'm not afraid of some seasoning as long as it enhances what's already there rather than covering it up. I use the loudness feature on my amp at lower volumes. I believe that Sonos automatically flattens the loudness curve as volume increases but I often just turn it off at higher volumes.
Top Bottom