Recent content by Krillin

1. Krillin

Is the Dynaudio Contour 60 tube friendly?

I was running an McIntosh MC205, but I have really dirty main power. It made the toroidal transformer buzz, as well as most of the preamplifiers and amplifiers in my home. I'm waiting on a Buckeye NCX500 amp to arrive in the mail, but I also want a tube amplifier to rotate. I am considering a...
  2. Krillin

Is the Dynaudio Contour 60 tube friendly?

Is the Dynaudio Contour 60 tube friendly and should it be on the 4 or 8 ohm taps? Measurements attached. I own these speakers and am debating a McIntosh tube amplifier.
  3. Krillin

Luxman SQ-N150 Review (Tube Amplifier)

The SQ-N150 is noted for having a 1% distortion rate, in contrast to its predecessor's more favorable 0.3% distortion, according to the specifications sheet. The older model boasted additional components, including a choke and a higher quality volume control, indicating a less constrained...
  4. Krillin

Focal Kanta 2 vs KEF R7 meta

My experience with KEF is with their Reference 2C center channel and it's an engineering masterpiece. Low distortion, gorgeous looks, perfect dispersion, and a little sterile (2D sounding). It won't hide the truth and nothing about the sound will be "full sounding" unless it's in the original...
  5. Krillin

Wharfedale Aura 2 review by ErinsAudioCorner

I see conflicting information regarding the Aura C center channel. Is it a 2-way or 3-way? I assume 2-way as that's what most online literature says. https://www.wharfedale.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/EVO-4-AURA-and-ELYSIAN-Comparison-231013_R1.pdf...
  6. Krillin

Wharfedale Aura 2 review by ErinsAudioCorner

Wharfedale Aura 2: 103db Max SPL Wharfedale Elysian 2: 109db Max SPL KEF R3 Meta: 110db Max SPL Are the Wharfedale Aura's really that limited? Or is this just add a subwoofer and the Max SPL goes up significantly? Not that I intend to listen that loud however I am thinking of dynamic peaks in...
  7. Krillin

SVS Ultra Evolution

Have the motors been improved, or are the same drivers being used as in the existing SVS Ultra lineup? Not that the originals measured poorly in this regard, but I do hope for progress as time marches on.
  8. Krillin

Which DIY speakers would you like to see reviewed?

I would love to see the PartsExpress Solstice kit by Jeff Bagby be reviewed with the Klippel NFS. It's one of the very few tower DIY kits that comes with a full flatpack with a ton of builds. And I'm curious how the TMM 2-way holds up.
  9. Krillin

Any truth to speakers being better with a more powerful amp?

I cannot assert that greater power necessarily equates to superior sound quality. In my comparisons involving the Luxman MA-88 40W Williamson tube mono amplifiers, Luxman SQ-N10 (EL84), McIntosh MHA-100/150 50W amplifier, and the McIntosh MC205 multichannel amplifier, I did not observe a notable...
  10. Krillin

NCore NC502MP or NCorex NCx500. Any audible difference to the human ear?

I have just sold my beloved McIntosh multichannel amplifier. I loved it but the mains voltage is so dirty anything with a Toroid transformer buzzes in my house. Next up on my priority list is to purchase a replacement amplifier for my front channels. The NCorex is clearly a the superior...
  11. Krillin

Trinnov Altitude 16 Review (AV Processor)

I find it quite disheartening that a product as sophisticated as the Trinnov Altitude 32 is accessible only to those with substantial financial means, given its cost is comparable to a Toyota SUV. While I understand that this processor incorporates an Intel CPU, a standard motherboard, and a...
  12. Krillin

Hypex Announces New and Improved NCOREx Class-D Amplifier Technology

So NCOREx was announced around April 2022. 2024 is right around the corner. Any news on a NCx502mp?
  13. Krillin

PURIFI finally did a fully purified passive speaker design! The SPK 16 prototype is here - with a PTT tweeter

Is the Purifi SPK16 something that can actually be built? I see no DIY plans and no discussion over the tweeter availability. I'm finding DIY a harder and harder choice. Many popular DIY kits have measured horribly on the Klippel Near Field Scanner. And lowly speakers such as the Polk Elite...
  14. Krillin

Two 12" dual opposed subwoofers or four 12-15" ported subwoofers

I am considering a high end AV processor with bass management for multiple subwoofers. Cost is a concern and $3,000 is ideal for subwoofers but I can stretch the budget a bit if on sale. From what I have read: Two subwoofers really smooth out a room and the ideal placement is midwall on...
  15. Krillin

KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced

Because I didn't know that one could attach so many. So how would three channel work out of an AVR/AVP for a matching LCR? I only see RCA L/R in on this when the processor only has balanced out and HDMI video out. So balanced to RCA could work but what about the center channel? If these are...
Top Bottom