Recent content by krichard2496

1. K

SOTA Pyxi Phono Stage Review

Translation of 11 pages: "Yeah I know the Radio Manufacturers Association was recommending weighted THD tests in 1937, and Shorter was demanding them in 1949, but we do science here in 2023. That AX? It's an expensive box, it says "floating".... none of our real readers actually use these...
  2. K

Phono pre suggestions?

Our clients tend to say that the overload behavior of our designs improves (lessens) the audibility of surface noise. We attribute this due not only to our large overload margin, but the behavior during that excursion far above average program level. The transfer function of our units "softly...
  3. K

Phono pre suggestions?

Yes. Inaudible though the 2nd harmonic is believed to be, in the small proportion that it exists in our products due to the response of the human ear, it dominated his SINAD measurement which is "flat" and unweighted. We have requested that ASR provide a test output conforming to the D. L...
  4. K

Phono pre suggestions?

Most clients have significantly praised the nearly-silent background noise floor of our units, even with the typical highly-inductive Moving Magnet style cartridge -- where most BJT designs fall down significantly -- and this aspect is not tested in ASR's methodology. Most other units --...
  5. K

Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Communicator Review (Phono Preamp)

It depends on the power supply topology. Probably could have on the Graham Slee due to their use of a 24V DC switching input power supply. Our units require an electrically-'floating' outer shell on the coaxial power jack, so the metal-collar-through-chassis-hole ones don't work for us. The...
  6. K

Darlington Labs MM-5 Review (Phono Stage)

Thank you for the assessment. We have come to realize that, in our view, our design is ideally suited to actually reducing the audible impact of surface noise without harming the music. The slow, natural increase in second-harmonic THD from its very low levels at normal output, up to the clip...
  7. K

Still won't comment. Other forums often "lock down" editing after 30 minutes or so, not a bad idea to do here. We are trying hard to run a business that is the equivalent of "running a somewhat profitable airline while other people argue about whether the world is round or flat."
  8. K

We have derived quite a bit of business from this forum. We are NOT looking to have anyone "turn on/against" anyone. We hope that a hobby can be both fun and intellectually stimulating. It was another poster, not ourselves, that postulated about replies or refutations - not us. If you've...
  9. K

We suggest again that Amir incorporate D.E.L. Shorter's October 1949 methodology wherein each higher harmonic is weighted at N to the 4th power. We have heard no refutation of what I would call an "honest broker/engineer" i.e. a member of BBC staff who was clearly an experienced listener, and...
  10. K

My impression is that he was trying to poke fun of your very nice descriptions of sound quality by connoting you with the Stereophile reviewer of that name. I don't know Jason but I would hope he agrees that this sounds quite good on the double-vinyl LP: Speaking of 1989, if you were to crack...
  11. K

We are contemplating an entry-level unit below the MM-5 that would indeed be a feedback design (J-FET input), high power supply rail, regenerated internally, very unique, and would probably be acceptable to Amir in terms of aurally-unweighted THD. I think having a product line with a 1:33 price...
  12. K

We're not planning on a series of odd-numbered models. We do have an MP-8 in our product roadmap which will likely be 5 to 6X the price of the MP-7, using tubes as well as high-voltage J-FETs. It will be targeted at cost-no-object systems. While the conventional specifications of the MP-8 may...
  13. K

We'd recommend sticking with the current flat curve. The only case where we would confidently recommend it is where you have a speaker output transformer in the signal path that itself is already down 0.5 to 1.0dB at 20Hz. Otherwise, it sounds quite impressive on first listen (a "boosted...
  14. K

Thank you for your assessment and kind words. It is noteworthy to mention that your Mani likely has an elevated frequency response from 20Hz to 100Hz. Amir's sample tested similar to our own sample of the Mani and was about +0.5dB at 20Hz (so technically it roughly meets their specifications...
  15. K

Thank you, sir. If pressed for a response, we would say that you are hearing the "lack" of distortions that are audible and unpleasant to the ear, especially those substantial higher harmonics from other units that are generated under conditions of transient peaks (via cartridge mistracking...
Top Bottom