Recent content by kmidst

1. kmidst

What amp/DAC do you recommend for my Audio-Technica ATH-R70x headphones?

I just read the earlier stuff about the Chord products. I'm just going to say it, overpriced snake oil, and obviously so. And no, we're not going to get tricked into buying the products and then having a hard time returning them when we realize how much money was wasted. Chord Hugo M Upscaler...
  2. kmidst

Audio-Technica ATH-R70x Review (Headphone)

Hah funny enough I found a review from amirm of my Soundblaster Z card and he basically said the DAC is good but the headphone amp is weak. Yet it sounds good to me. Maybe I just am not pushing them hard. But in regards to your choices, I'm not familiar with any of these brands. The problem is...
  3. kmidst

That Behringer HA400 is a bit weak for driving these headphones. The HA400 specs in its manual says "max output level approx. 40 mW in 100 ohms". Well the ATH-R70X headphones are 470 ohms nominal impedance and rated for up to 1000 mW. I have two different devices I use with these headphones...
  4. kmidst

How is this possible? Shunyata power line filtering (with video)

Besides for power line filters not being necessary at all in audio systems, there could be a detrimental side effect. You're adding more resistance to the front end of your system, which drops some voltage that your audio gear would count on for its own power supply. That being said, a good PS...
  5. kmidst

I disassembled my Genelec 8351B

I believe they're good speakers. Still think they're overpriced though. And those power ratings don't make much sense. High power ratings are needed mostly for concert gear that has to play loud from a distance and subwoofers which need more power to produce a similar apparent loudness. A full...
  6. kmidst

Great, some specific tangible reasons for the speaker's price tag. I appreciate that much more than speculations. Sounds like your knowledge of speaker design is more advanced than mine. So, what class of amp does the Genelac use for each part of the tri-amp? Also, why 550 W and is that...
  7. kmidst

Marantz Cinema 50 installed

Check in the setup menu, audio, Audyssey settings. Do you have the LFC turned on? The higher that is, the more it will try to adjust bass to keep it from resonating in the walls. That means it will attenuate it to an extent. Otherwise, check your level settings for subwoofer in the settings and...
  8. kmidst

No, I don't know the tooling costs, but quick googling of aluminum tooling and casting is showing it's not extremely expensive. Neither are wood-working tools, but it takes more stations and personnel to process woodwork and finish it. Same response to the person posting about amortization...
  9. kmidst

I'd be interested to see the results of a blind A/B of the 8351B to F206, despite the measurements. I'd assume the F206 would sound fuller because of the extra drivers. I could be wrong though, but yeah would love to hear the difference.
  10. kmidst

Oh I agree software does have value, since it took time to engineer. I'm just saying the number that represents its value is open to wide interpretation. I think one should grade them based on functionality. A one-purpose algorithm with no user-interaction probably shouldn't cost more than a...
  11. kmidst

I know you can spend 8k easily on all those components, but you will be getting a device with the internals and construction that makes more sense for the price. Take the Parasound Halo A23+ for example ($1700 retail). Or the Revel F206 ($1925 retail). And the value of software algorithms is...
  12. kmidst

I guess to me, for that much money I would expect the speakers and amplification to look bigger. Everything inside there just has a generic look to it. Well anyway, seems like people don't argue that they sound good. I can't imagine the production cost to be super high though. Wood cabinets with...
  13. kmidst

After seeing the inside of this speaker, can someone please educate me on WHY THE F*^@ it costs $4200?
  14. kmidst

Wait a sec though, can't you still send a clipped signal to the headphones and damage the drivers that way? Having an underpowered amp for the load is the recipe for that scenario. Edit: Also they spec that 1W at 1khz and call it "maximum" but don't specify if that means continuous indefinitely...
  15. kmidst

Anthem AVM70 Review (AV Processor)

My experience with Anthem has been that they're too expensive for what they offer! I "downgraded" to Marantz and am very happy with the sound quality still. New unit cost less money and had more channels. Anthem, you could have a great product, you need to price your stuff more appropriately...
Top Bottom