Recent content by khrisr

1. K

What are we listening to right now..

"DAR A LUZ" by Marta Gomez & Nicolas Buenaventura An exceptional album that I've been listening to since the day it was released. I don't understand spanish at all but I really feel the beauty in the words. Pure vocal bliss.
  2. K

I recently discovered ECM records … a ton of good stuff in their catalogs. Excellent + well recorded music -> https://tidal.com/playlist/ceca5d09-fa65-46a0-893b-15328fd1b45b
  3. K

Making my first Hi-Fi setup less bright/warmer

Get a minidsp (2x4 HD or higher) and use the parametric EQ controls to bring down the highs. If you cannot take measurements just use frequency response graph from published reviews as guide. Treble should not be that much different from room to room so you can use those as reference for where...
  4. K

I'm hearing crackling sounds in some tracks. Is this normal?

Got it. There is a distinct clipping I hear with iphone + headphones but not main stereo + headphones so does not seem related to the speakers. I rarely listen to metal anyways so it’s possible there are multiple sources of the noise and I’m just not hearing what’s already in the recording.
  5. K

Hmm not sure I follow why that applies to this case … isn’t clipping mostly an issue with how the amp is handling the higher input signal? This is a pretty audible noise we’re dealing with here
  6. K

I can replicate the noise on my iPhone + bluetooth headphones. Turning on loudness normalization makes it a lot better and I bet if I used Roon it will mostly go away (I find their volume leveling works a lot better). FYI on my main stereo I cannot hear any clipping so its definitely a problem...
  7. K

Music is dead.

Totally agree! Before streaming I had practically stopped listening to music because I was bored with what I grew up with. Nowadays I always give a listen to latest releases (whatever the genre) and I find more excellent music than I have time to listen to. Every couple of months I stumble onto...
  8. K

I got into this thinking it’s just background music. I was wrong. Some avant-garde stuff in there but hopefully you’ll be convinced much before. Play from the beginning. Darkened room with visual patterns on a big screen helps (underwater slomo screensaver on Apple TV did it for me)...
  9. K

Are we getting the emphasis wrong?

I guess I should have said “McDonalds cannot serve up better food even if it wants to”. But you bring up a great point about untrained taste buds getting overloaded with fried salty food. That was primarily my diet at one point in time and similarly with music choices … but I’m a tinkerer so...
  10. K

Movies Worth Owning

Agreed! Yes I've seen his other movies and own a bunch of them. Patiently waiting for the next one that’s coming out this year.
  11. K

Movies Worth Owning

The French movie Delicatessen was one of the most memorable movies I ever watched mostly based on the unusual theme and the amazing sound effects that are weaved into the story Check out the trailer on IMDB https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0101700
  12. K

Are we getting the emphasis wrong?

My take on this via an analogy. There will always be Michelin star restaurants who employ skilled chefs and source the ultimate best ingredients and equipment to serve up fine food to people who care enough. There will always be McDonalds which cannot serve up better food because they employ...
  13. K

To clarify what I meant was … those clipped 0dB spikes in your recording could be getting further exacerbated downstream eg Roon will do this unless volume control is passed down to the DAC (not sure if this is a general bug but that’s the situation with my current setup)
  14. K

You could be getting clipped. I frequently run into clipping issues when playing digital streams via apps (especially recordings that are already too loud). I’ve found Roon level normalization with volume pass through to DAC to work well for taming loud recordings with my current setup. To test...
  15. K

are you disappointed of some of your old favorite songs that sound like crap on you new hi fi equipment?

I heard an interesting argument that a lot of older recordings mastered on tape don’t sound so good because tape fidelity reduces with each recording pass … so bands that were aiming for perfection in the studio were penalized whereas albums like “Kind of Blue” which was recorded in just two...
Top Bottom