Recent content by Kervel

1. K

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

The subjectivity is just that there are multiple ways to show the raw data. Spinorama is one way (and certainly the best), but that does not mean there are no other ways.
  2. K

Take KH310 for example, which is asymmetric in the way the drivers are spaced. I suspect (but am not 100% sure) that a left and right version have the same spinorama; yet the GB's of measurements are different due to said asymmetry. This means Spinorama as a model ignores this particular...
  3. K

I would separate the raw measurements (a few GBs of data), from the way to present the data (spinorama). In this case, I would callthe Spinorama a model in the sense that there are many other ways to present on- and off-axis information.
  4. K

Of course, thats all true. Apologies for not being clear. Spinorama is an objectively specified model that can be built using measurements. It is based on a theoretical model of what should constitute a good speaker, however it is not a complete description. Which variables enter the spinorama...
  5. K

Right, the spinorama is a model based on theory to interpret the raw data (or convert data to information). This is subjective to the extent it not does not include all dimensions that affect sound quality, such as SPL capability and distortion.
  6. K

LS50 Meta vs Genelec 8330

Makes a lot of economical sense to go for a second hand kh12 or 8030c. Add a minidsp flex for perfect cross over integration and rew filters. To deal with low volume listening: all minidsps allow you to save and switch between 4 different EQ settings. So use one setting for normal listening, and...
  7. K

LS50 Meta vs Genelec 8330

I had a LS50 nonmeta on my desk, a B&W sub, integrated with a minidsp 2x4hd for high and low pass filters, and REW eq. Replaced it with 8330+7350 sub. Honestly, the difference in sound quality was small---both systems were very good. The genelec give peace of mind knowing that cross-over...
  8. K

Tekton knows they cannot win such a lawsuit, and it is not their intention. They bully Erin to have him remeasure, so they can say to there customers "yeah some initial measurements looked bad, but they were botched, so we stepped in and informed the reviewer to do them properly and now they...
  9. K

Advice needed - Kef LS60 vs Kii vs D&D

Fair point; I have not heard cardioids. Was only trying to reduce the decision paralysis:)
  10. K

Advice needed - Kef LS60 vs Kii vs D&D

All these models have near-perfect measurements and will sound quite similarly. If you like the look of the Kefs, save yourself some cash and go for those. Their main limitation is SPL output, so just try and see if this is an issue in your listening position. Subs can mostly solve this in any case.
  11. K

Audio Precision APx516B Review

A question. In the dashboard figure, can't you just increase FFT length to reduce the measured noise floor, and then end up with a similar looking graph as the APx555?
  12. K

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Sounds like a gain issue. Make sure the digital volume on all genelecs is the same level.
  13. K

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

So GLM has the sound character profiler where you can add a house curve. If you want less bass, then there you can add a shelve filter to reduce all content below 100hertz. Since it's a center channel in what I assume is a HT setup, I don't think this is needed as the 8361 will be high passed...
  14. K

Using AI for Review Thread Summaries?

Now do one of thread of a speaker with 100+ comments pages!
  15. K

Best China speaker parts supplier for DIY on AliExpress, any valued recommendations?

That's tricky. You need the right match of drivers and crossovers that correspond with cabinet size and shape---advanced stuff. Instead of figuring this out yourself, I suggest you look for a design you like, and check whether components are available at AliExpress
Top Bottom