Recent content by kemmler3D

1. kemmler3D

Using cork in acoustic treatments

Good info. Although cork clearly isn't porous or light enough to do much to the treble, as others have noted in the thread, usually we have a lot more trouble in the frequency range you mentioned. It's not hard to find materials that are good at absorbing treble... 80-200hz is another story.
  2. kemmler3D

Working too hard can give you a Heart Attack Ack Ack Ack Ack Ack... My Heart Attack Story.

Thanks for sharing @BDWoody , it's a good reminder and guidance even (especially?) for those of us young enough to (foolishly) think we don't need to pay close attention to this kind of thing.
  3. kemmler3D

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Measurement Update

IME you might be overestimating how "serious" most speaker brands are... I think every manufacturer *should* have one, but you can get by without good anechoic measurements, especially if you're making small bluetooth speakers or something. It wouldn't hurt to have one in that category, but...
  4. kemmler3D

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Measurement Update

What I'm getting from this post is you don't understand measurements... and you take that a step further, because you don't understand what they're for, Amir shouldn't publish them. And apparently nobody should publish opinions about speakers whether they do measurements or not? Huh?
  5. kemmler3D

Wild and wacky gear from the PRC

Any mention of price or specs? It reminds me of some infinity stuff I think...
  6. kemmler3D

Where does quantization noise come from.

There have been some good explanations in this thread. What made quantization noise click for me was understanding that, at the ADC, the difference between the original signal and the digitized signal is basically random. Every time you sample the original signal, you represent that signal...
  7. kemmler3D

Best Very-Nearfield monitor for bedroom mixing

Sounds like about as good as you can do for a bedroom setup, other than spending $$$ on somewhat nicer monitors. Godspeed sir.
  8. kemmler3D

After the hype of Chinese HiFi brands, what is the jury?

The list of ones that don't is shorter. People don't spend 2 years getting an MBA just to pay double for manufacturing! ;)
  9. kemmler3D

After the hype of Chinese HiFi brands, what is the jury?

The Topping D50 III w/ PEQ review just came out... seems like a winner. Maybe not "innovative" in the sense of PEQ having been a feature on (certain) DACs for years, but they're certainly leading out of the gate in the consumer / low price segment with that. That said, I tend to agree that...
  10. kemmler3D

About design philosophy _ are minimalists right or not ?

To this point, you could say that a design with more functions has more opportunities for errors, so if you're not confident of the designer's engineering capabilities or manufacturing process, simpler could be better. And more parts is more potential points of failure. But if you're not...
  11. kemmler3D

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

Looking through his actual posts on his feed, he's made a lot of stupid commentary on a lot of topics, so I think he's just stupid. e.g. One is "Actually, housing prices per square foot haven't gone up that much over the past 40 years" - this is his comment on a graph that shows them rising 50%...
  12. kemmler3D

Why reconstruction filters? Just intermodulation distortion?

I guess a very minor additional reason is not to send too much power to tweeters, or waste amp power on ultrasonics, but those would tend to be very low in level.
  13. kemmler3D

Best Very-Nearfield monitor for bedroom mixing

To this point, agree. To get bass right from this setup, you probably need to check on (trustworthy, EQ'd flat-ish to 20hz) headphones, as well as take the mix around to several other systems to see what you are dealing with. Also make sure to compare your tracks to references with known good...
  14. kemmler3D

Tekton M-Lore Speaker Review

See - this is what happens when you let professionals speak to the public, instead of shooting your mouth off every time you get a little hot under the collar. Were the executives at Humane "happy" about being called the worst product he's ever reviewed? Obviously not. If the CEO didn't use a...
Top Bottom