Recent content by KeithPhantom

1. KeithPhantom

HIFIMAN Susvara Headphone Review

Hey, since I currently own both (and even owned the Stealth previously), I think I can give my opinion. I think the Stealth are worth it if more than sound is what you’re after. They sound great out the box no questions and feel good, thing is that for me their sound signature is inconsistent...
  2. KeithPhantom

And the same happened with a the combo I owned before: HD 6XX and A30 Pro. 2-of-2 clipped with Harman bass at at high levels. My 560s are better than both classics as I use (them) convolved to Harman and they sound almost the same as the DCA Stealth I’m about to return and they don’t clip.
  3. KeithPhantom

Bass distortion. I had them and the bass distortion after EQ was the reason I needed to switch them for the 560s. The distortion is audible specially with the type of music I listen to. I could get them to clip and it was not the amp (using a A90D)
  4. KeithPhantom

Serious Question: How can DAC's have a SOUND SIGNATURE if they measure as transparent? Are that many confused?

You are very likely to not be able to hear a difference, you will be dealing with auditory power masking for THD, and that’s assuming your transducers are lower THD than the amp which it is safe to assume they’re not. For noise, please provide the noise measurements at listening levels for both...
  5. KeithPhantom

Topping D90LE Filter question

Those time domain measurements show “ripple” before or after the response, but all of it is at very high frequencies (like 20kHz) and at a very low level. Does not matter for practical terms and it is just a consequence of bandlimiting.
  6. KeithPhantom

Should I use equalizers?

Want to clarify something, AutoEQ’s presets are not calculated on the Harman OE 2018 regular version, but the one with no bass boost then AutoEQ adds +5 dB shelf to make up for the bass. This actually results in a very different filter compared if you were to manually compute the curve using the...
  7. KeithPhantom

Audeze LCD-X - Amp/Dac question

Using an EQ with such preamp warrants some amplifier, agreed with that, but I don’t think you need more than a DX3 Pro+ even with EQ as the LCD-X are fairly efficient (I owned the 2021 ones). I used them with the A30 Pro, which may be more power than you really need.
  8. KeithPhantom

Topping A90 Discrete Review (Headphone Amp & Preamp)

No difference, it sounds exactly the same as an "unbalanced" amplifier.
  9. KeithPhantom

Best Closed back Headphones for "Mastering" under $600

In his EQ presets, he tends to do "adjustments by ear", which I don't like most of the time and differs from pure equalization with no changes. If you can use Python, I recommend using AutoEQ and computing your own EQ (do not use their presets because they use a +4 dB shelf by default) using the...
  10. KeithPhantom

Noob question about Asio, WASAPI Exclusive and Parametric EQ.....

APO is the issue because it works on regular Windows audio. Other programs like Roon are able to do WASAPI/ASIO with EQ and filters.
  11. KeithPhantom

Equalization in Roon vs. RME ADI-2? Which is better?

If you go for a full correction, the 10 filters Roon offers make it possible, 5 of the RME won't cut it. If you do not mind making your own 5-filter EQ with AutoEQ or using any other 5-filter settings, the RME is good enough. EQing at the RME stage also lets anything that you connect to it also...
  12. KeithPhantom

Where is the "Kick Bass Drum" ?

As it was said previously, it isn't that easy to make everything sound great, especially when you have multiple very loud instruments, all of which need a presence in the mix. Things such as masking will limit how much dynamic range your ears and brain are able to process at a time, thus, making...
  13. KeithPhantom

Pink Noise sounds boomy with Harman tuned headphones.

Technically I agree, but practically I do not. You can always interpolate the data with a great degree of accuracy from the provided graphs (which have been multiple from multiple official sources). There's no need for dB SPL-exact data to get a highly accurate interpolation. Add that the curve...
  14. KeithPhantom

Adding a 10-band PEQ to a DAC - What is holding manufacturers back?

Yes, like a phone or a computer with an app or a program. But it is a one-time process as long as you do not change the DSP settings. This is with convolution, with parametric EQ you can just use the buttons the DAC brings.
  15. KeithPhantom

Adding a 10-band PEQ to a DAC - What is holding manufacturers back?

By sending the filter to the DAC as part of the setup (this can be changed anytime), which will erase some EEPROM and flash it there. Then, just change a register to tell the chip to process the DSP before the conversion into analog. If you want another one, send another filter or maybe get some...
Top Bottom