Recent content by KEFCarver

1. KEFCarver

JBL SA600 Vintage Amplifier Review

THe pn's given in the jbl service manual are 12539 for the pnp and 12538 for the npn. I looked them up in an old ECG cross reference guide and they are ECG174/175 which come out as NTE175/38
  2. KEFCarver

Audio Precision APx516B Review

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the thd/snr plots for the apx516b and remembered seeing your plot earlier on the QA forum :)
  3. KEFCarver

Poll: Audio Science Review in the World (2024)

Tucson, AZ (USA)
  4. KEFCarver

Douk VU3 VU Meter Review (Updated Version)

I reached out to the company but did not hear back from them. Looks like a nice unit- if I did not have the one I the one I do (w/out VU meters), I would purchase it. Maybe I still will as I have a pair of speakers that I switch between. Am designing my own power meter right now- large blue "mac...
  5. KEFCarver

Thanks for posting this. It looks similar, but different enough. I am going to reach to to them for a demo that I can test....
  6. KEFCarver

The pain of being a member of ASR

Anyone that quotes KC & the Sunshine Band has to be ok. It is kinda fun and frustrating at the same time, plus it takes a lot of time away from testing or repairing :rolleyes:
  7. KEFCarver

The pain of being a member of ASR

I thought this would be a great place to share (vent?) my current experience. I have a small Youtube Channel focused mainly on testing Vintage (say >20yrs old) audio gear (namely amps, preamps, & receivers)and seeing how well it performs to its original specs, as well as how it sounds to me...
  8. KEFCarver

Carver M-1.5t Review (Vintage Amp)

I have not noticed the light dimming at my house with my m400a's. Well, just one m400a, as the other one I am about to take apart for the 5th time to try to figure out why it is in protect mode following a cap replacement, which it worked fine for about an hour after the cap replacement. They...
  9. KEFCarver

I would not call the group of Carver Followers a "cult"- maybe fanboys- and they really defend Carver gear (most of it, anyway). I am sorta a Carver Fanboy, but have no problem "calling a spade a spade" when it comes to Carver gear that I test. My guess would be that a restored/upgraded M1.5t...
  10. KEFCarver

I think car analogies are great depending on how they are used. Not sure about how the overall analogy was used to be honest. Surely I can say that I would rather have a Sansui 9090 than a Marantz Stereo 70 just like I would rather have a '65 Corvette rather than an S3 Tesla. I have both "car...
  11. KEFCarver

Technical Review of the NJ&FX AUDIO PW-6 “HiFi Audio Power Switcher” (A/B switch)

It needs to be powered and ON if you want to listen to music from what I remember. I use a usb battery pack to power it, and that can last for several days. If you don't need the remote then I would get a manual switch.
  12. KEFCarver

Yes- I tested it after purchasing it. No real effect on frequency response or THD. Not sure what the isolation was between paths/ports, but it works well
  13. KEFCarver

You are welcome. BTW, I have two of the switches I referred you to and find they work well. I do not switch between my amps that often, and it is easier than reconnecting wires to amps. I measured the switch and there was basically no degradation to the audio signal.
  14. KEFCarver

If you want to switch between two amplifiers that are not more than maybe 100w, and don't need a remote, then I would get something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093GSS8P7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Put the power meter on the output that would be going to...
  15. KEFCarver

I found the VU meter to be pretty worthless as a VU meter. If you want something to monitor the output of your tube amp(s), or any amp, I would look on ebay for a Realistic APM-100 power meter. They are pretty good if your power levels are less than 100w...
Top Bottom