Recent content by keepthingsclean

1. K

Subwoofer for Genelec 8030 very rectangular livingroom setup

Dear @ad_fletch thank you for taking the time and reading. I was hoping for an answer and almost went for the SB-1000 classic. Then I found a B&W ASW 610 on a local auction site in a city nearby and pulled the trigger for 250 Swiss francs / 250 EUR. It came in white with two minor scratches...
  2. K

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

Anyone here running the 3800 in a phantom-center setup? When I upgraded my system, I removed the center and currently run the PreOut to a pair of Genelec 8030 left and right plus a Sub. System is configured as "No center" and I was hoping for the AVR to somehow downmix the Center-channel...
  3. K

Lamenting the lack of good quality budget A/V Preamplifier/Processors

I can attest to that. When I got my Genelecs, I also felt i'd be missing out on something if I don't have fully XLR / balanced connections. Now i'm running simple RCA -> XLR adapters after the Pre-Outs of my amp and use long XLR cables to connect the speakers. If I should feel the urge to...
  4. K

Subwoofer for Genelec 8030 very rectangular livingroom setup

Good evening, afternoon or morning – depending from where you are reading. So i'm watching this forum now silently for quite a while and now would be in need of support to understand/read subwoofer measurements a bit better. The situation is as following: I've recently replaced my Klipsch RP...
  5. K

Suggest a budget sub!

@AdamG247 absolutely :) And thanks for the pointers. Just wanted to make sure, i'm not missing anything specific in the comparison chart, as it is referred to as the bible here :D
  6. K

Suggest a budget sub!

I look at it, but aside from some pointers to a few brands/models, i lack the knowhow to draw additional further conclusions. Guess I'd need to then go and listen to what is suggested/listed - or is there any "objective" criteria aside from size/price/brand/construction that would help me to...
  7. K

Looking for a 2.1 HT pre amp

I'm in a somewhat similar position, though i'll be using the system with Genelec 8030s - so only the pre-outs matter. Torn between the Marantz 70s for its slim design and easy of use vs. a Denon 3800 with the possibility to upgrade to Dirac later on. Here in Switzerland the difference would be...
  8. K

Is there a simple multichannel solution for 5.1/5.2 audio with DSP that is NOT an AVR?

don't know if this is still relevant. I'm researching something similar to pair powered speakers with various HDMI sources and to throw a good DAC into the mix. Marantz Cinema 70s is comparably small, offers all the inputs AND pre-outs. Plus ease of use for the setup plus room correction.
  9. K

AVR + Poweramp + DAC, help with system optimization

So for now i went with simplifying the system. Sonos is gone, dedicated DAC is gone. And I started to stream via AirPlay directly to the Marantz. Was quite happy with that for a while and focussed more on just listening. But I moved into a new appartment that requires a mesh Wifi. And I had...
  10. K

Versatile mini/desktop setup

Thank you for your input @Keith_W :) The RME ADI-2 is on my watchlist for a year and I'd buy it in an instant if I was to upgrade my own system. My brother unfortunately isn't ready for this amount of spending - and also I believe he wouldn't value the audiophile benefits and perks as much as...
  11. K

Versatile mini/desktop setup

Hej there, looking for some advice on a new setup for a family member, where I'm struggling to find an appropriate combination. Currently there is a 25 year old Yamaha integrated amp which is reaching its end of life plus two large speakers which are rather "bookshelf plus". The plan is now to...
  12. K

Will having an external DAC on my x2400h will improve SQ for music?

I think this depends on whether you can run the DAC output directly into your speakers. Depending on the setup the AVR will take the analog signal from the DAC, redigitize it to process it internally before it will again leave towards the amplifier. So potentially your signal is converted...
  13. K

Receiver Preamp Outputs vs Dedicated Preamps

that´s also exactly my topic at the moment. Should I be bothered to just use the pre-amp of the AVR in Pure Direct mode to run my DAC or Phono Outputs from the RCA to the power amplifier... or is there still some tinkering going on in between so that I should rather consider to feed the music...
  14. K

AVR + Poweramp + DAC, help with system optimization

Hello dear audio community, a few years back, life was pretty simple. I had a tiny integrated amp (NAD C316BEE) coupled to some bookshelf speakers and a CD player and a split RCA cable from my 3.5mm output on the computer. Then I moved and had space (and need) for larger speakers. So I got a...
  15. K

adding VU-meters in the audio chain?

ahh.. the green glowing and dancing bars of an RME... still haven't found a way to replicate this nostalgia with a Pi or similar :-/
Top Bottom