Recent content by keantoken

1. K

How much distortion comes from ironcoils in loudspeaker crossovers ?

Hi @fineMen, I am reminded of finemet, the material used in some fancy inductors. Do you know where one would find Corobar inductors in the US?
  2. K

Build of Carmody S2000

The glossy substance on the inner crevice of the surround is some kind of tacky viscous compound to add mechanical loss to the cone edge where it tends to flop around like the end of a long stick when you shake it. This controls the cone breakup modes which improves spectral decay, frequency...
  3. K

Autism is just mild schizopherina not it own disorder

The problem with "masking" is it does not occur on the basis of knowledge or empathy with the other person, but as an imitation of acceptable behaviors with little understanding. What this means is you occupy the same spaces as others, and have normal interactions on the surface, but you are...
  4. K

Power grid interference: What does it look like measured with different tools?

By far the main way mains noise becomes audible is through ground loops. If you hear mains noise without having a ground loop then the equipment manufacturers have done something horribly wrong, or you have a really nasty interference source and your stereo is probably not the only thing affected.
  5. K

Dayton Audio B652-AIR Speaker Review

Yes. I don't consider all my problems to be the fault of my country though.
  6. K

Here is CSD for my B652-air with modded crossover and towel stuffing. The notch at 6KHz was always a curiosity, it comes from the tweeter. I could never figure it out. The 540Hz dip is almost always present in the measurements.
  7. K

This is interesting, I did many measurements of my B652s when I was modding the crossover. I never saw the 340Hz notch (some of the B652 woofers have vents under the spider and others like mine don't, so I suspect it is a spider resonance which may be affected by the vents). With augerpro and...
  8. K

Stereophile has started calculating EPDR.

Yes, and in normal conditions secondary breakdown does not affect amplifier dissipation. While it is occurring the amplifier is still in control of the transistor so it's dissipation is as predicted for a class AB amplifier, just there is a hot spot forming on the die which will kill the...
  9. K

EPDR does not consider secondary breakdown.
  10. K

Calculating EADR (similar to EPDR)

So, there is one big flaw with EPDR, and that has to do with the thermal mass of power transistors. EPDR is proposed as better correlating with load stress because peak power has a tendency to exceed the SOA rating of power transistors. So EPDR is based on the peak power dissipated in the...
  11. K

I should add that jackocleebrown probably didn't need my help at all, and had absolutely no trouble producing his own math. So I can hardly claim credit for this when he might have already known the answer. I didn't ask him to do it for me because I was having fun figuring it out myself. EPDR...
  12. K

The goal would be to not exceed the insulation temperature. So you would consult an ampacity chart. Once that was settled you would possibly look into damping factor. The wire may not burn up but may still be resistive enough or long enough to affect the frequency response of the speaker.
  13. K

Hi everyone. I straightened out my thoughts and posted them here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/calculating-eadr-similar-to-epdr.22019/ In a class D amp, the MOSFET is either on or off. When it's on it just behaves like a resistor, so the only thing that really...
  14. K

Big thanks to jackocleebrown for polishing up my work at the end of this journey. I only found out about EPDR yesterday, and it got me thinking about the subject. I say yesterday but it may have been 2 days ago because I didn't sleep that day... I realized that there was a straightforward way...
Top Bottom