Recent content by JW001

1. J

Do low power amps lack bass? Or do they clip?

For global feedback analysis, your example amplifier can be represented by this block diagram: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6e/Block_Diagram_for_Feedback.svg From that diagram, it would be trivial to calculate the gain of the whole amplifier. It is: G = 1 / (1/Aol + Beta)...
  2. J

Do low power amps lack bass? Or do they clip?

No energy is lost due to negative feedback, at least not any meaningful amount. A very low current is fed back to a high-impedance input stage via high-value resistors. For example, look at Figure 1 here: https://sound-au.com/project3a.htm. The AC feedback is fed back to transistor Q2 via a...
  3. J

Topping D50 III Balanced DAC with EQ Review

You can use it on multiple sources (for example, toslink from a TV, USB from foobar2000, spdif from a cd/bluray player).
  4. J

What are we listening to right now..

Self-titled album by Dire Straits. I use it to test my subwoofer integration, and also for great music. And I love their other albums: Brothers in Arms, Communique, Making Movies. Dire Straits
  5. J

Yeah, it's javascript. You have to give it an explicit permission to run. Network interface is nicer, you are not stuck at the same computer where the DAC is connected to.
  6. J

@amirm said: "What distinguishes the D50 III is what is inside: support for up to 10 filters of different types. The app, called Topping Tune, even has nice features like overlaying a target curve. Focus is on headphone use though as there is no way to assign separate EQ to each channel as you...
  7. J

If it's a web app, not a Windows app, it'd be served over a network interface, not USB :)
  8. J

Where can I download good quality music for free?

What other reasons streaming sucks for?
  9. J

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

You realize that the necessity to reboot a computer to maintain its health is a result of bugs in the OS. Not looking far, my Raspberry Pi-based pool controller runs for months and never needs rebooting. And I can’t imagine how it would be acceptable to periodically reboot thousands of online...
  10. J

I recently bought a new Flex (DL) to replace a DDRC-24. To my surprise, when I tried to load a Dirac Live project file created by DDRC-24, I got an error "Could not restore a project - the file was created for a different device". The same version 3.9.7 of Dirac Live was used to configure DDRC...
  11. J

Fosi Audio V3 Mono Amplifier Review

Is it because of their size they are desktop models?? Unless your office is very small, IMHO you can get better results placing your speakers on stands and equalizing for your chair as a listening position. I tried both setups.
  12. J

Does it matter if 31dB is too hot? You need a preamp with volume control anyway…
  13. J

Amir was referring to the voltage gain. Every amplifier has a parameter called input sensitivity specifying the input rms level at which the output reaches a maximum voltage (and power, for a given load). Above that level the amp will start clipping or may go into protection mode.
  14. J

I ordered it on minidsp.com site on Monday and DHL delivered it on Thursday. Just 3 days from HK to New Jersey. The total shipping $30, no customs fee nor tax.
  15. J

Dirac Live Exclamation Mark issue

In my small (10'x12') home office I have a stereo setup with DDRC-24, Yamaha A-S801, DBR62s and a single SVS SB1000. I was pretty happy with the sound quality of the setup. I subscribe to Qobuz but also have a collection of CDs, Bluray-Audios, DVDAs and SACDs, all ripped to files stored on a 2TB...
Top Bottom