Recent content by JVN01

1. J

Wiim Pro distortion on spdif input

Although the current is indeed low it is enough to generate sparks if you drag an earthed wire across the top of the metal case.. it's also enough to damage the input of other audio gear if you connect it "live" because the phono tip is also at 1/2mains AC potential relative to the equipment...
  2. J

I don't understand why Wiim won't just use external spdif clock when spdif input is selected? Why insist on FIFO mode when it causes so many problems for what is essentially a user convenience feature (spdif in from TV setups)?
  3. J

That seems to be the case, sadly...
  4. J

I use(d) the Yamaha with Tidal and the search function within Musicast is close to unusably poor... I also wanted to use it with my Amazon Prime music subscription but it doesn't support it hence my excitement at the Wiim...
  5. J

You won't notice unless you disconnect all audio cables from the Yamaha and plug it into the mains then measure volts AC between the Yamaha case and mains earth. You'll prob see 115V or so. If you touch mains earth with your body and brush the side of your hand over the Yamaha case you may well...
  6. J

Exactly the same for me. I could add a second spdif input to my own DAC, and connect TV direct to there, but then I'll need to add some spdif switching to my DAC rebuild (which may be the way to go...)
  7. J

My DIY DAC is currently out of service due to being in bits being upgraded/rebuilt into a new unit along with a CDpro2 drive and xmos USB interface so I'm unable to try it, but others have reported similar distortion using TVspdif > Wiim Pro > extra DAC...
  8. J

I've always used the WXC-50 with my own home built DAC (although the internal DACs sound also good in their own right imo). The WXC-50 hardware is superbly implemented (good selection of inputs and outputs, quality metal case, rotary volume knob, properly implemented power on/off modes etc. The...
  9. J

It's a real shame as I build active speaker systems and other audio kit for people, and I was about to start recommending the Wiim Pro as the killer drop-in easy-to-use product for the streaming/TV spdif combination, but this relegates it back to the realms of a quirky experiment for now...
  10. J

I'm only using the internal Wiim DAC, haven't got my own DAC connected. So I'm going TV spdif OUT > Wiim spdif IN. It's just awful. Was much better for a few weeks, but a recent firmware update has taken it back to being worse than it was in January when I first bought the unit. It's...
  11. J

I think you missed the point of my update - Wiim already appeared to have somehow fixed it, but a recent firmware update seems to have broken it to a point where it is now at least as bad (if not worse) than it was before...
  12. J

Never, ever had this issue using Yamaha WXC-50, either using Yamaha internal DAC or external own-built Burr-Brown 24 bit DAC. Only the wiim has a problem decoding spdif from Samsung TV..
  13. J

Hmmm well unfortunately after a month or more of satisfactory spdif behaviour (ie OK sound quality which did not deteriorate, or mute/dropout) it seems like a recent firmware update has broken it again! Now I'm getting noticeably poor/sibilant sound quality almost all the time, along with...
  14. J

Interesting comments, can't comment on the accuracy or otherwise of the Samsung TV spdif clock although it's been working perfectly for 4 years with a Yamaha WXC-50 streamer with no issues whatsoever until now. The fact that Wiim acknowledge there is a problem with many Wiim users suggests it's...
  15. J

Hi there Had my Wiim pro for about a week now and I'm interested to hear whether others are seeing any of the same issues. I'm using it for spdif input from my Samsung TV (for all video streaming platforms like Netflix, etc and DVD/Bluray) and for streaming Amazon and Tidal over wifi, both...
Top Bottom