Recent content by julian_hughes

1. J

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

The Moondrop instructions are at https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/moondrop-earphone-filter-accessories-for-spaceship-kxxs-starfield-earphone They make it sound easy though ;) Actually sometimes it easy. That's the time you get it just so. The previous two or three times might be quite the...
  2. J

Very, very carefully and with some difficulty! And expect to have a couple of goes at it before you get it just right. These are very easily damaged. One set of spares is a nice gesture but it's definitely better to have a good supply.
  3. J

You give them a poke with a tweezer to flip them a little and then pull them out. This usually means damaging them, either by bending or puncture.
  4. J

Yes, glued in. These types of grilles usually have a very tiny adhesive ring on the underside but it relies on perfect fitting, something clearly not easy to get right in the assembly let alone doing it yourself at home. If you measure the diameter of the grilles you can find cheap spares on...
  5. J

Try pushing it very gently with a cotton bud. It might flip though. Moondrop use the same "guaranteed to move and fall out" design, I assume because it's really cheap to manufacture, and have the same issues. Fitting new ones is not much fun either. You need some very tiny tweezers and a bit...
  6. J

I was offering examples of how hearing is a neurological phenomenon, albeit physically stimulated via a bio-mechanical conduit, and not a reliably reproducible mechanical phenomenon. And sometimes people definitely hear stuff which is not physically there. We get so fixed on electro-mechanical...
  7. J

I'm not really referring to panning effects, though with new headphones I do check that (The beginning of Jimi Hendrix/War Heroes/01 - Bleeding Heart has a great panning effect which is a really nice excerpt if you are struggling to identify lossless vs lossy - it kind of subtly shrinks and...
  8. J

My experience of FR measurements of stuff I actually own and use is that they very accurately describe bass response, and if it is overcooked and ruins the mids. And then there are the frequencies of the human voice. And that's what we notice, what we actually pay attention to and *hear*. The...
  9. J

So would 3k be the limit of what different measurement rigs can reliably distinguish? After 3k what are we really seeing in measurements? Tendencies?
  10. J

edit: the following was a reply to Chromaticism, not Amir or anyone else. Maybe answer a reasonable question with a reasonable answer instead of deflecting it off into a somewhat but not entirely related issue. If that constitutes an answer then there's not much point in asking.
  11. J

Not really, as I don't see how test results published here acknowledge or reflect that. Also, why should the points I raised be corralled into a narrow discussion about the response between 7.5 & 8.5 kHz?
  12. J

Can you expand on that and clarify?
  13. J

The Quality Of Tape: The new transfers of Decca’s Ring recordings

It's a nice coincidence seeing this thread today. Today on my Qobuz subscription I listened to some recordings I didn't know and one had a lot of hiss. Otherwise it sounded great and I really enjoyed it. It was mono which I usually don't like, but this was so good I didn't even notice for a...
  14. J

And another another thing (sorry, but it's late): With the upper bass bleed tamed the Moondrop Katos are much more enjoyable than these Truthears in another way: with the Truthears I experience that thing of three distinct points: "sound on the left, sound on the right, sound in the middle"...
Top Bottom