Recent content by Julian Krause

1. Julian Krause

Measuring Microphone Preamp Perf in Audio Interfaces

Correct, more "gain" does not necessarily mean better. In most cases gain isn't even an issue as you can simply amplify the recording in post. But there are scenarios where more gain is benefitial. E.g. if you use a low output dynamic mic like the Shure SM7B and you are live streaming you want...
  2. Julian Krause

Measuring Microphone Preamp Perf in Audio Interfaces

It probably should be named "input sensitivity" or "line-up level" or something like that. But non-technical people might not understand this term, that's why I have settled for "maximum gain of mic input". The whole graph is a tradeoff between understandability for casual consumers and...
  3. Julian Krause

TOPPING Audio Interfaces Coming soon!

I have already ordered one and it's currently in transit. Hope to have it in my hands soon :)
  4. Julian Krause

iD4 & iD14 MK II - Audient updated their Audio Interfaces

As the_brunx mentioned you can simply unscrew the brass standoffs with a small hex wrench. The lower PCB connects to the upper one with some long pins which you carefully have to pull out by pulling the two PCBs apart. When reassembling the interface, make sure the connecting pins between the...
  5. Julian Krause

One thing to note is that the rise in distortion on the iD44 MKII is due to the way the preamp section is implemented. When you route a signal into the return input on the ID44 MKII (which bypasses the preamp section) the distortion is considerably less. This indicates that the distortion...
  6. Julian Krause

Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB - Tear down, bit of internal analysis and few in-house measurements

Pretty sure it's only my particular unit. In the video I shortly mention it at 13:48. It seems the potentiometer is defective and I expect the channel balance of other units to be more in line with my previously measure Clarett 2Pre USB.
  7. Julian Krause

Thanks for sharing my videos!! I'm looking into that topic but I need to do more research before I can make a useful tutorial. Of course when looking into this you will inevitably be confronted with the question whether phase correction even brings an audible improvement. Many things can already...
  8. Julian Krause

That's great to hear :) I repeated the test, green is a sample rate of 96 kHz and red is 48 kHz. All other things are the same as before.
  9. Julian Krause

I was curious about this so I made a quick test with the latest firmware version. App version is 4.2.1 and firmware of the iD14 MKII is 1.0.7. This is how the inter-channel phase looks now. There is still a shift in the higher frequencies but the 180 degree phase shift at lower frequencies is...
  10. Julian Krause

USB audio interfaces interest

My device is the same, with IEMs you will most likely hear some noise. The unit I measured had a headphone output impedance of about 4 Ohm.
  11. Julian Krause

Black Lion Revolution 2x2 Review (Audio Interface)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Your recordings confirm my suspicion and a quick measurement showed that your Revolution 2x2 had about 8 dB more noise than the iD14 MKII. This is very much in line with what I measured with my device! Thanks again!!
  12. Julian Krause

Black Lion Revolution 2x2 Review (Audio Interface)

Hey, does anyone here currently have access to a Revolution 2x2 and could do me a favor? I measured the Equivalent Input Noise of the mic input on my Revolution 2x2 and it comes in around -119 dBu(A) which is not great. I want to find you if my device is defective or if other 2x2s perform the...
Top Bottom