Recent content by Jukka

1. J

Designing an active 2-way speaker crossover

I've successfully used USB mics with acoustic timing reference, but I noticed that I get best results when I used a small speaker placed close to the microphone and not move them around between measurements (DUT can be rotated if doing off-axis). I previously used the other speaker of a stereo...
  2. J

Fane 15-300TC 15" full range speaker based project

In the first post, the picture with plywood, they are on a Volkswagen.
  3. J

Fane 15-300TC 15" full range speaker based project

That's a Volkswagen Passat.
  4. J

UMIK-1 or any USB MIC unsuitable for timing measurements?

As far as I know, by following REW instructions you can make meaningful measurements with USB mics, but they are valid and comparable only for the session. Anything that involves a microphone depends on how the mic is placed, so if you swap a speaker you will have invalidated comparability...
  5. J

Canton Vento 826.2 Speaker Review

So is this a valid meme now? J/k ;)
  6. J

SEAS KingRo4y MK3 Kit

In short, this is what I know. Both passive radiator (PR) and reflex port are means of bass reflex tuning. And that is one way to do equalizing. Both methods have their strengths and weaknesses. A few worth mentioning are 1) a port increases sensitivity above tuning frequency, 2) port produces...
  7. J

Measurement Microphones - what is the consensus?

Yeah, I use a 350 € phone daily and own a UMIK-1.
  8. J

Measurement Microphones - what is the consensus?

You have a thousand dollar phone, but complain about price of UMIK-1???? Some things to consider: the use of a measurement mic is seldom one-time. It will most likely outlive your current phone. The most useful part of a proper mic is that you can use it with proper software on a real computer...
  9. J

JBL 4312M II 3-way Studio Monitor Review

Yes, exactly this, thank you. I currently have 12 speaker drivers in my home, but none of them are in a ported box So the 2nd and 3rd harmonics are 10-15 dB below fundamental. That makes air a lousy membrane, eh...
  10. J

JBL 4312M II 3-way Studio Monitor Review

@amirm I have a request: Could you measure the sound from the port more thoroughly, please? Just even once, on this or the next ported speaker you measure. I'm most interested in the harmonic distortion that comes from the port, at different sound pressure levels. I'm not sure if it makes a...
  11. J

DALI Oberon Vokal Center Speaker Review

It's a center speaker, it's main job is to disperse sound horizontally, so you should give that more weight. Headless.
  12. J

End Game DIY Loudspeakers

People who speak against 15" or larger have not witnessed a 15" or larger playing. You can get 20 Hz from 4", but it's -20 dB below 1 kHz and over excursion happens at 85 dB. With dual 15" per side you can expect 90+ dB with 1 Watt and capacity that does not give in. 15" can have 15 mm xmax...
  13. J

End Game DIY Loudspeakers

Nice setup Speaking of which, I own two Arendal 1723 Subwoofer 1 subs. I wanted to build 15" bass legs between my 2-way mains and the subs, to give more performance below mid-range and above subwoofer range. So I got a pair of 15 inchers, put them on 80 l boxes and fired up the DSP and some...
  14. J

Topping PA5 fix - D01 Module Replacement for everyone

Hi everyone. I have an opportunity to acquire one or two PA5 units for a very low cost (less than 50 €). So I was wondering if getting and fixing them would be worth the effort, even though I have no immediate need for them. I would soon need a small amp for my work desktop set. I have one...
  15. J

My Neurochrome Modulus-686 Build

I once looked at Neurochrome and after comparing the apples to a battlecruiser I decided that it's not worth it. The alternative build totals for less and you can put it in a box too.
Top Bottom